Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through, curbside and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
It took 13 innings but Atlanta Braves, Freddie Freeman beat Reds, 1-0.
- Results: After Braves pitchers held the Reds scoreless through 13 innings, Freddie Freeman walked it off with an RBI single
- Next: Noon today, game two in best-of-three series vs. the Reds, at home. Friday, 3 p.m. if needed. TV: ESPN. Radio: WLAQ, 96.9 FM, 1410 AM.
- MLB playoffs: Who’s in, who plays when?
- Minor League contraction begins; Danville Braves among casualties: Major League Baseball started the process of contracting minor league affiliates Tuesday, with the Appalachian League converted to a college summer circuit for rising freshmen and sophomores. That includes the Danville (Virginia) Braves. Full report
Friday night kickoff forecast: 69 degrees, 9-mph wind with 15-mph gusts. Bring a coat.
John McClellan’s high school picks: Rome, Darlington rebound; wins for Pepperell, Cartersville; dominant nights for Unity, Rockmart. McClellan
This week’s games:
- South Paulding (2-1, 0-0) at Rome (1-2, 0-0)
- Temple (2-2) at Pepperell (1-2)
- Class 1A Private no. 10 Darlington (2-1) at Heritage (3-1)
- Southeast Whitfield (0-4) at Armuchee (1-1)
- Unity Christian School (5-0) at Covington Academy (0-4)
- Class 5A Number 3 Cartersville (4-0) at Cherokee (4-0)
- Cass (4-0) at Ridgeland (0-4)
- Chamblee (0-0) at Woodland (3-0)
- Woodstock (2-2) at Class 5A Number 6 Calhoun (3-1)
- Sonoraville (2-0, 0-0) at Class 3A Number 9 Rockmart (2-1, 1-0)
- Gordon Lee (3-0) at Gordon Central (1-2)
- Class 2A Number 6 Heard County(4-0) at Cedartown (1-2)
- Off this week: Adairsville, Chattooga, Coosa, Model.
Saturday: Georgia hosts Auburn, 7:30 p.m., ESPN. Georgia.
- ESPN’s Game Day will be in Athens Saturday, 9 a.m.-noon.
Saturday: Alabama hosts Texas A&M, at 3:30 p.m., CBS. Alabama
Georgia Tech off Oct. 3. Next: At home vs. Louisville, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m. Georgia Tech
SEC TV schedule for Oct. 10:
- South Carolina at Vanderbilt, Noon, SEC Network
- Florida at Texas A&M, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
- Tennessee at Georgia, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
- Arkansas at Auburn, 4 p.m., SEC Network
- Alabama at Ole Miss, 6 p.m., on ESPN
- Mississippi State at Kentucky, 7:30 p.m., SEC Network
- Missouri at LSU, 9 p.m., ESPN
- Falcons, 0-3: Next: At Green Bay, Monday, Oct. 5, 8:15 p.m. TV: ESPN. Radio: 92.9 The Game.
- Updates: Speaking with the media this week, Falcons coach Dan Quinn expressed optimism that the team would have a number of starters back in the lineup for an important matchup against the Green Bay Packers on “Monday Night Football.” Although he didn’t mention any specific players during his press availability on Monday, Quinn did provide further clarification on a number of players while doing his weekly hit with 92.9 The Game’s “Dukes & Bell.” With starting cornerback Darqueze Dennard going on injured reserve Tuesday and rookie corner A.J. Terrell currently on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the Falcons are stretched thin in the secondary. Fortunately for Atlanta, it seems there’s a chance for second-year corner Kendall Sheffield to see his first action of the season after missing the first three games due to a foot injury. “Sheff has certainly worked hard and rehabbed part of him for his foot,” Quinn told the radio show. “He’s looking forward to getting our first practice together, which will be Thursday this week with the Monday game. We’re definitely looking forward to having him back out on the field. We’ll have a better sense after he goes through the three practices to see where he’s at, but we’re very encouraged about him for this week.”
Friday: The Willard Nixon/Rome Orthopaedic Center Sports Hall of Fame Golf Tournament set for Friday at Stonebridge Golf Course.The tournament is a four-person scramble event with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Team entry is $300 and covers green fees, cart fees, range ball and lunch. Hole sponsorships are also available for $100 each.All money raised from the tournament goes to help fund the John Pinson Jr Outstanding Student Athlete Scholarship, which recognizes one college-bound male and female senior from each local high school.Click here to download the registration form. For more information contact email@example.com.
The POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Walk set for Saturday, Oct. 17, at Ridge Ferry Park comes with some pandemic protocols, included ‘waved’ starts for walkers and runners; virtual option, too. What to know
2021 Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame Class: Tim Garrett, Lee-Anda Hutchens, Chris Jones, Lee Mitchell and Brian Smith. Class of 2021