Today’s first headlines:
- September was NW Georgia’s deadliest month yet: 53 fatalities — 2 from Bartow, 1 from Polk recorded Wednesday. 72 new positive tests; 36 from Floyd. State deaths top 7,000.
- COVID on campus: 556 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd County, Rome City schools. Model High had 124 in quarantine Wednesday. No Rome update.
- Business: Southeastern Mills growing again, adding 90,000 square feet to the Center for Superior Logistics; due next July.
- Business: As brewery system heads out, more things brewing at 333 Broad St. — including the return of a popular downtown chef.
- Education: No more interim for Dr. Glenn White, now superintendent of Floyd County Schools.
- Floyd Democrats meet tonight (virtually). Please register to vote by Monday. Floyd adds weekend voting at Garden Lakes Baptist Church, Oct. 17-18; 24-25 (please see hours).
- Darlington’s Purple Tie Raffle includes a $10,000 prize. GHC’s digital way to mark five decades. Berry student from Summerville earns Coast Guard scholarship.
- Buzz: Ribbon cut for Mount Berry Trail on Wednesday (it starts behind the post office off U.S. 27).
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Fabulous fall forecast — sunny, highs in the 70s, lows dipping into the mid 40s.
- Dedicated volunteer fire captain remembered by friends; services set for Friday for Jimmy Franklin Buffington, 66.
- Obituaries: Angelia Askew, Elizabeth Forehand Buchanan, Mrs. Barbara Jo Edwards, Pastor Mary L. McCluskey.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
Braves win it in 13 innings, 1-0.
-Atlanta vs. Red, noon today, ESPN, WLAQ
-Minor League contraction begins; bye, Danville.
Friday night high school football schedule; kickoff forecast.
Georgia vs. Auburn, Saturday night; Tech off. SEC TV schedule.
-ESPN’s Game Day on campus as well, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday.
Falcons at Green Bay, Monday at 8:15 p.m., ESPN
Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.