Today’s first headlines:
- Business: AR Workshop closing as downtown changes continue. Redevelopment Committee meets at 2 p.m. to talk annexations. GNTC, Floyd Career Academy to host state business summit.
- State’s latest coronavirus update has a positive spin until you compare to local results. Missing: Any mention of virus deaths. Locally, 54 new cases; 72 remain in area hospitals.
- 572 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd, Rome schools. 3 new cases. West Central dominates city; Model High at county. Berry positive tests at 120 since Aug. 1.
- Rome/Floyd firefighter suffers massive heart attack Monday night; crewmates credited with saving his life.
- Dedicated volunteer fire captain loses battle with coronavirus; friends remember Jimmy Buffington.
- Georgia Neurosurgical Society names Harbin Clinic’s Dr. John Cowan president of the Board of Directors. Redmond Urgent Care shifts drive-through COVID tests to Shorter.
- Voting: 3 state amendments up for review at 2 this afternoon; see webcast. Floyd Democrats meeting Thursday (virtually). Please register to vote by this Monday. Vice presidential debate a week from tonight
- 2021 Rome-Floyd Sports Hall of Fame Class: Tim Garrett, Lee-Anda Hutchens, Chris Jones, Lee Mitchell and Brian Smith.
- Goodwill announces temporary closing of donation center in Cedartown beginning Thursday; store remains open. No changes in Rome.
- Darlington SAT scores top local, state, U.S. averages. GNTC’s Christina Bullock first runner-up in GOAL awards. Berry names Dexter, Ngetich Martindale winners.
- Buzz: Applications being accepted for Salvation Army’s Angel Tree. Kiwanis Club of Rome announces 3rd Annual Pecan Sale. History Center extends hours.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: More cool air on the way; Friday’s high — 70 degrees. You’ll want a coat at this week’s high school games.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Wilma Doris Thomas Cox, Robert Dominic Rhinehart.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Braves vs. Reds today at noon, ESPN and WLAQ.
- Same time, place on Thursday.
- Rome now holds high school football’s home longest winning streak (35). Homecoming this Friday.
- Georgia hosts Auburn Saturday; Tech off. SEC football TV schedule.
- COVID-19 issues with NFL’s Titans, Vikings.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.