Today’s first headlines:
- Will we have Halloween? New CDC guidance lists several traditional activities as high-risk. No decision yet on Downtown Trick-or-Treat event. Pumpkins arriving at Trinity on Oct. 11.
- No new deaths reported in Northwest Georgia on Thursday, regional toll stands at 198 since March. Also: 95 new positive tests here since Wednesday; another 1,368 statewide.
- COVID on campus: 517 students, staff in quarantine at Floyd, Rome schools. Three new positive tests reported. At Berry: 36 students, 1 employee positive since Sunday.
- Johnson Elementary School (Floyd County) named a ‘National Blue Ribbon School’, listed among top in nation by U.S. Department of Education.
- Education: Floyd BOE called meeting today to discuss personnel. GHC to present virtual speaker series. State Superintendent makes changes to Milestones testing.
- Rome GA Cares team on way home from Louisiana after week-long ‘The Faith and the Badge’ mission. Podcast: An interview with a grateful Beauregard Parish Sheriff Mark Herford.
- Buzz: Berry College Eagles return to nest. Final Between the Rivers Farmers’ Market of season on Saturday. Parks and Rec bring ‘The Market’ to Garden Lakes. Rose Lawn Arts Festival winners.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Patchy fog possible this morning. Today, mostly cloudy with high near 78. Partly sunny for weekend with temps back up in mid-80s.
- Obituaries: Eva Nell Akins, Dolores Jean Skidmore Evans, Mr. Thomas “Tommy” Amos Mathis, Sr., Mrs. Della Mae Mitchell, Mr. Harold Earnest ” Pee Wee ” Truitt Sr.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
- Hardy Realty’s open house gallery for Sunday: A 5-bedroom, 3-bath home in Maplewood priced at $299,900. Open house.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Tonight, Saturday night high school football schedules.
- Braves open final regular-season series at home vs. Boston.
- Colleges: Georgia at Arkansas; Tech at Syracuse.
- -Plus: The SEC schedule for the weekend.
- Falcons at Bears this Sunday.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownText. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.