For months, we watched the demolition of Kmart and the out buildings followed by the grinding recycling of blocks and cement, all used to help resettle the 20-acre campus off Turner McCall and Hicks Drive. Within a month or so, we’ll see the first wave of East Bend’s restaurant swarm open with retail to follow.
A check of city building permits shows that progress on paper even as the daily landscape of the development changes. Included in the August report:
- Texas Road House: $750,000 building permit.
- McAlister’s Deli: Permits for gas, HVAC and plumbing.
- Five Below buildout
- Old Navy: Plumbing, electrical, HVAC
- Shops A and B: Electrical work, gas lines, plumbing, HVAC.
- Work also is under way on the region’s second Fazoli’s Italian; the first opened this summer in Cartersville.
What to expect:
- October: Panda Express and Chipotle.
- December: Texas Roadhouse, Fazoli’s and McAlister’s Deli.
- March: Old Navy and Five Below.
- Shops: As leasing continues, look for early spring openings.
- Kohl’s: Perhaps October 2021.
- Discount Tire: We’re guessing spring 2021 as construction should start this fall.