Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
- FINAL: Coosa beats Trion, 51-45. (4th OT)
- FINAL: Darlington tops Lakeview Academy, 32-7.
- FINAL: Heard County over Pepperell, 36-29.
- FINAL: Model wins at LaFayette, 21-20.
- FINAL: Unity Christian School over Peachtree Academy, 30-18.
- FINAL: Cartersville tops West Forsyth, 28-17.
- FINAL: Adairsville falls at Cass, 27-17.
- FINAL: Woodland beats Osborne, 43-17.
- FINAL: Cedartown downed at Rockmart, 21-10.
- FINAL: Calhoun loses at McCallie (Tenn.), 38-22.
- FINAL: Gordon Central falls at Northwest Whitfield, 34-13.
- FINAL: Chattooga over Pickens, 28-14.
- Off this week: Armuchee, Rome, Sonoraville.
Today: Georgia Tech vs. Florida State, 3:30 p.m., Tallahassee, ABC. Schedule
- Although Georgia Tech doesn’t recognize starters, the Yellow Jackets return 17 players that were on the field for the majority of the first offensive/defensive snaps last season — nine on offense and eight on defense.
- With the start of the season being pushed back due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Georgia Tech is playing its latest season opener since it opened the 1992 season on Sept. 12 versus Western Carolina.
- Saturday’s game is Georgia Tech’s first versus Florida State since the Jackets’ memorable “Miracle on Techwood Drive” 22-16 win over the No. 9 Seminoles on Oct. 24, 2015.
Sept. 19: Georgia Tech hosts Central Florida, 3:30 p.m., ESPN.
Sept. 26: Georgia at Arkansas, 4 p.m.
Sept. 26: Alabama at Missouri, 7 p.m., ESPN.
Sept. 26: Georgia Tech at Syracuse.
Atlanta Braves continue at Washington through Sunday.
- Latest results: Braves fall to Nationals, 8-7, in 12 innings on Friday. Next: Today at 6:05 p.m.
- 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
- Roster moves:
- Sunday: Home opener vs. Seattle, 1 p.m. Fox; radio: 92.9 The Game.
- TV announcers: Adam Amin (play-by-play), Mark Schlereth (color analyst), Lindsay Czarniak (sideline reporter)
- Radio: 92.9 The Game, the Falcons’ official radio network. Radio announcers: Wes Durham (play-by-play), Dave Archer (color analyst)
- Live Stream: Watch Falcons games live for free in the official Falcons app (iOS & Android) and on AtlantaFalcons.com mobile web.*
- Season schedule.
- Show and tell time for Todd Gurley: No move this offseason was as widely celebrated among Falcons fans than the acquisition of free agent running back Todd Gurley. On Sunday, fans will get their first full look at Gurley in a Falcons uniform as Atlanta takes on the Seattle Seahawks. Full report here.
The Shorter University Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams are a GO for playing this Fall. “I am thankful the Gulf South Conference decided to let us play. These young men and women are so passionate about playing and can’t wait to compete.” -Coach Long Both programs are scheduled to play three events in the next two months.
The Shorter Men have been showing improvement each year and continue to build a deeper roster. “My goal is to have competition before the real competition begins and that is happening.” -Coach Long The Hawks have two transfers, Charles Collings and Luc Toupin, and they plan on making a great impact right away. Returning and also looking at making the TOP5 are Grant, Elliott, Tima Finlayson, Jamie Ruengmateekhun, Ryan Jackson, Cameron Spehar, and added locals Jacob Brumby and Jonathan Suppes.
The Lady Hawks lost two seniors that provided so much in their four years. However, Coach Long brought in two young women, Paola Rosario and Preslee Yoder., who are ready to play hard and do their part to make this program successful. Averi Schrews, Grace Narrell, Rin Richardson, Tori Overby are returning for 2020-2021 season and adding local Abigail Talley to the roster.
Recently hired to be the new Grad Assistant is Connor McCarthy. He played golf at Shenandoah College in Virginia. “I can already tell that Connor came not just to get his MBA, but to help this program succeed. I am thankful for him being at Shorter and look forward to seeing what he does in the future.” -Coach Long
Long is starting his fourth year as the Shorter Head Golf Coach. Since being here, both programs have combined for 3 team wins, 3 individual winners, and 11 All-Tournament finishes. Also, 87% of Shorter student-athlete golfers finished on the 2019-2020 Honor Roll. “I love seeing the success from both teams on the golf course and in the classroom. This is a GREAT group of young men and women and I am blessed to spend time with them every day!” -Coach Long
The Men’s and Women’s Golf Schedules can be found on our website at goshorterhawks.com
The Willard Nixon/Rome Orthopaedic Center Sports Hall of Fame Golf Tournament set for Friday, Oct. 2 at Stonebridge Golf Course. The tournament is a four-person scramble event with a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Team entry is $300 and covers green fees, cart fees, range ball and lunch. Hole sponsorships are also available for $100 each. All money raised from the tournament goes to help fund the John Pinson Jr Outstanding Student Athlete Scholarship, which recognizes one college-bound male and female senior from each local high school.Click here to download the registration form. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The POWERADE Power Dash 5K and Walk set for Saturday, Oct. 17, at Ridge Ferry Park comes with some pandemic protocols, included ‘waved’ starts for walkers and runners; virtual option, too. What to know