Buzz: Desperate need for type O blood because of recent traumas. Junior Service League donates school supplies to more than 2,500 students. Berry’s Viking Fusion up for national honors.

Blood Assurance says multiple traumas in our area have left the only blood supplier for area hospitals with less than half a day’s supply of type O blood. The organization is asking for immediate donations if possible. “Please schedule an appointment to give at a donor center or mobile near you by calling 800-962-0628, texting BAGIVE to 999777 or visiting www.bloodassurance.org/schedule.”

The Junior Service League of Rome’s League 4 Learning project continued the legacy of delivering school supplies this year thanks to your support. On Aug. 5, JSL delivered
more than $16,000 in much-needed supplies to Rome City and Floyd County primary, elementary, and middle schools.

The League 4 Learning initiative began in 2004 and served 545 students that year. For the 2020-2021 school year, more than 2,500 students were served. The League 4 Learning
project is funded entirely by the Junior Service League through community support received through the annual Poinsettia sale, Garden Tour and Follies.

Members also have been eager to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community. Before delivering school supplies, JSL donated more than 300 masks to Harbin Clinic for its mask program and held a member drive to benefit community partner, Cancer Navigators.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has been a challenge for League to adapt to the changing needs of those we serve but members have come together to continue to support the community,” said Deana Perry, current president of JSL.

College Broadcasters Inc. named Berry College’s multimedia website, Viking Fusion, a finalist in two categories for the 2020 National Student Production Awards.

Viking Fusion was announced as a finalist in the Best Student Media Website and the Best Social Media Presence categories. This is the fifth overall recognition in the Best Student Media Website category.

“With all things considered due to Covid, I’m really proud of all we’ve accomplished,” said Zoe Robinson, executive director for Viking Fusion and a junior communication major from Cumming.

Colleges competing against Viking Fusion for Best Student Media Website include Georgia State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Westminster College.Those competing for Best Social Media Presence include Baylor University, Ithaca College, and Temple University.The winners will be announced in October.

Said Steven Hames, Viking Fusion adviser: “This is our first recognition from CBI for the website since we updated the site two years ago. And this is our first ever recognition in the Social Media Presence category, so I’m really excited about that.”

For more: vikingfusion.com/.

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.