Today’s first headlines:
- Election results: Greene wins 14th district race over Cowan. Roberson over Caldwell in Floyd Sheriff race. Results for Polk, Gordon, Chattooga.
- Politics: What’s on the Nov. 3 ballot. Biden picks California Sen. Kamala Harris as running mate.
- Georgia’s deadliest day to-date: 122 new deaths in last 24 hours including three in NW Georgia. Plus 166 new cases in region. Now 66 COVID patients at Floyd, Redmond; 96 in the region.
- COVID and campuses: Floyd County updates ‘Return to Learn’ plan with details on handling students with symptoms, positive tests. Latest updates from area schools, colleges.
- Coosa Valley Fair postponed until Fall 2021.
- Education: GNTC drive-through graduation. 74 Rome High students received AP Scholar honors. Georgia Highlands ranks in three national reviews.
- Buzz: Downtown Cartersville cancels Saturday’s Music by the Tracks concert. Public input needed for Metropolitan Transportation Plan.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Sweltering day ahead, heat index expected near 103. Slight chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.
- Obituaries: Daryl Jean Johnson Gould, Mildred (“Millie”) Neslin, Ms. Jennifer Elaine South
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- College football: Big Ten and Pac-12 cancel fall sports. Updates from SEC and ACC conferences.
- High School: Cedartown cancels season opener at Carrollton. First game now Sept. 11 at Rockmart.
- Braves vs. Yankees tonight; latest results.
- Community sports updates.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.