Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbs ide, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Shorter women’s basketball announces incoming class. Shorter University’s head women’s basketball coach Jared Hughes has announced 11 newcomers for the Hawks in one of the largest recruiting classes in the nation. The class will be the first full class under Hughes. Among the recruits:
- Kaitlynn Stiles 5’9” Forward. Kaitlynn played at Adairsville High under Michael Roberson and Melissa Winters. From Coach Jared Coach Hughes: “Kaitlynn was a late addition to our roster that will fill an essential role in our power forward position. She has shown a desire to compete every day and do the little things that make teams successful.”
- For more.
Who’s in, who’s out? Mountain West, Big 10 and others are making noise about the 2020 college football season. The story is changing by the hour. Best bet? Fellow ESPN’s college pages
Aug. 28: Unity Christian’s first football game, at New Creation Christian Academy.
Opening weekend, Sept. 4. Complete GHSA schedule here (updated Aug. 5)
- Armuchee at Towns County.
- Coosa: Idle.
- Darlington: Idle.
- Model at Sonoraville.
- Pepperell: At Haralson County.
- Rome hosts Rockmart.
- Unity Christian School hosts Harvester.
- Adairsville hosts Chattooga.
- Cartersville hosts Morrow.
- Cass hosts Dawson County.
- Calhoun at Dalton.
- Gordon Central hosts Woodland.
- Cedartown at Carrollton.
- Trion: Idle.
Atlanta Braves’ road trip vs. Phillies.
- Latest results: Phillies pound Braves, 13-8. Atlanta rallied for 7 in the 9th, but it was for naught. Sean Newcomb (8 runs, 1 1/3 IP) is headed to the alternate site.
- Today, Wednesday at Yankees, 7:05 p.m. Radio: 1410 AM/96.9 FM
- 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
The Atlanta Falcons announce that they have placed safety Chris Cooper on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list. The Falcons now have three players on the reserve/COVID-19 list:
- Jamal Carter
- Keith Smith
- Chris Cooper
Due to league policy pertaining to COVID-19, NFL teams are only allowed to comment on a player’s roster status and may not disclose whether or not a player is in quarantine or tested positive. Atlanta’s veteran players began their five-day initial testing phase Tuesday morning. Rookies began an initial five-day testing phase back on July 21, and they have been undergoing daily tests as part of the NFL’s COVID-19 testing protocol.
Cooper, 26, spent the entire 2019 season on the Falcons’ roster. During his rookie season, Cooper had stints with the Colts and Bengals after a prolific career at Stony Brook University.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation registering for the fall sports season; early registration deadline is Aug. 14: Baseball, softball, t-ball, football, cheerleading and volleyball will all take place this fall and are currently registering for the season. Parents can take advantage of early-registration discounts if they sign their children up by Aug. 14t. Coaches and officials are also needed for several sports. For more: 706.291.0766, www.rfpra.com or visit our main office at 1 Shorter Ave.
Parks and Recreation: Help wanted. With the fall sports season fast approaching, Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation is hiring several part-time positions. Athletic officials for football, baseball, softball and volleyball are needed. Other part-time positions include gatekeepers and ticket takers, concession-stand workers, scorekeepers and yardage chain workers. All position can be viewed and applied for online here. For more: Shannan Fox at email@example.com.