Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
New SEC opponents set for revised 2020 Football Schedule: The Southeastern Conference on Friday announced the two additional non-divisional opponents each school will play as part of the SEC’s conference-only football schedule in 2020. The identification of each school’s two additional non-divisional opponents follows last week’s announcement of a 10-game season beginning September 26. The SEC plans to publicly announce the dates for all games within the next two weeks as it continues to monitor developments around COVID-19. Under normal circumstances, SEC schools play the other six teams in their division, two non-divisional opponents and four out-of-conference games each season. In the newly revised schedule for 2020, each school will play four non-divisional opponents in addition to the other six teams in its division. A look at non-divisional opponents:
- GEORGIA: Previously scheduled: vs. Auburn, at Alabama; Added opponents: vs. Mississippi State, at Arkansas
- ALABAMA: Previously scheduled: vs. Georgia, at Tennessee; Added opponents: vs. Kentucky, at Missouri
- AUBURN: Previously scheduled: vs. Kentucky, at Georgia; Added opponents: vs. Tennessee, at South Carolina
- FLORIDA: Previously scheduled: vs. LSU, at Ole Miss; Added opponents: vs. Arkansas, at Texas A&M
- TENNESSEE: Previously scheduled: vs. Alabama, at Arkansas; Added opponents: vs. Texas A&M, at Auburn
Aug. 28: Unity Christian’s first football game is still scheduled for Aug. 28 at New Creation Christian Academy.
Opening weekend, Sept. 4. Complete GHSA schedule here (updated Aug. 5)
- Armuchee at Towns County.
- Coosa: Idle.
- Darlington: Idle.
- Model at Sonoraville.
- Pepperell: At Haralson County.
- Rome hosts Rockmart.
- Unity Christian School hosts Harvester.
- Adairsville hosts Chattooga.
- Cartersville hosts Morrow.
- Cass hosts Dawson County.
- Calhoun at Dalton.
- Gordon Central hosts Woodland.
- Cedartown at Carrollton.
- Trion: Idle.
Atlanta Braves’ road trip vs. Phillies.
- Latest results: Friday’s game between the Braves and Phillies was postponed because of inclement weather. The two teams will play a seven-inning doubleheader on Sunday at Citizens Bank Park. Game 1 will begin at 1:05 p.m. ET and Game 2 will begin 40 minutes after the completion of Game 1.
- Today-Monday at Phillies, 6:05 p.m. Saturday and Monday; 1:05 p.m. Sunday. Radio: 1410 AM/96.9 FM
- 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
University of Georgia President Jere Morehead has been appointed to the NCAA Division I Board of Governors and Board of Directors.
The NCAA Board of Governors is the highest governance body in the NCAA and is composed of institutional chief executive officers that oversee Association-wide issues. The board is charged with ensuring that each division operates consistently with the basic purposes, fundamental policies and general principles of the Association. Morehead is now one of 16 voting board members.
The NCAA Board of Directors is responsible for strategy and policy and overseeing legislation and management of the division. The board focuses on strategic topics in college sports and their relationship to higher education and monitors legislation to ensure it does not conflict with policies and goals, among other responsibilities.
“I am honored to represent the Southeastern Conference on the NCAA Board of Governors and the Division I Council, particularly during these challenging times,” President Morehead said. “Our conference benefits from the tremendous leadership provided by Commissioner Sankey, and I look forward to working closely with him and my fellow SEC Presidents on the important issues that we must solve together.”
Shorter posts updated football schedule. The seven-game line-up includes three home games, all set for 1 p.m. Saturdays at Darlington. For more.
- Oct. 3, 6 p.m., at Delta State.
- Oct. 10, 6 p.m., at West Florida.
- Oct. 17, 1 p.m., West Alabama (played at Darlington).
- Oct. 24, 1 p.m., West Georgia (played at Darlington).
- Oct. 31, 7 p.m., at Valdosta State.
- Nov.7, 1 p.m., Mississippi College (played at Darlington).
- Nov. 14, at North Greenville.
Georgia Tech’s revised 2020 football schedule: The Yellow Jackets open their 11-game regular season at Florida State.
- Sept. 12: At Florida State.
- Sept. 19: Home vs. UCF.
- Sept. 26: At Syracuse.
- Oct. 9: Home vs. Louisville.
- Oct. 17: Home vs. Clemson.
- Oct. 24: At Boston College.
- Oct. 31: Home v. Notre Dame.
- Nov. 14: Home vs. Pitt.
- Nov. 21: At Miami.
- Nov. 28: Home vs. Duke.
- Dec. 5: At N.C. State.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation registering for the fall sports season; early registration deadline is Aug. 14: Baseball, softball, t-ball, football, cheerleading and volleyball will all take place this fall and are currently registering for the season. Parents can take advantage of early-registration discounts if they sign their children up by Aug. 14t. Coaches and officials are also needed for several sports. For more: 706.291.0766, www.rfpra.com or visit our main office at 1 Shorter Ave.
Parks and Recreation: Help wanted. With the fall sports season fast approaching, Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation is hiring several part-time positions. Athletic officials for football, baseball, softball and volleyball are needed. Other part-time positions include gatekeepers and ticket takers, concession-stand workers, scorekeepers and yardage chain workers. All position can be viewed and applied for online here. For more: Shannan Fox at email@example.com.