Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
GHSA sacks preseason football scrimmages; adjusts cheerleading and one-act plays. From Dr. Robin Hines, executive director of the Georgia High School Association, following Wednesday’s meeting with the medical advising team:
I have decided to implement the guidance listed below:
Football: (Due to high risk and physical contact)
Continue to practice as outlined in previous guidance so athletes and staff will be in a controlled environment.
First Football Game is Sept. 4, as previously voted on by the GHSA Board of Trustees on July 20.
Eliminate preseason scrimmage game(s) but continue practice with players in the controlled environment
Cheerleading: (Due to high risk of indoor packed arena(s) which do not allow for social distancing)
Continue to practice as outlined in previous guidance so practice will be in a controlled environment
Adjust the competition season to align with the proposed new dates for Region and State Championship
Dates will be published when venue(s) are secured to best accommodate the needs of cheerleading
Tentative first date for competitions would be Nov. 21.
Tentative State Cheerleading Finals would be Feb. 26-27.
One Act Play: (Due to risk of indoor venues and aerosol spray from projection and singers)
Tentative move to spring semester, details will be forwarded when Tommy Whittle returns from vacation.
Aug. 28: Unity Christian’s first football game is still scheduled for Aug. 28 at New Creation Christian Academy.
Opening weekend, Sept. 4. Complete GHSA schedule here (updated Aug. 5)
- Armuchee at Towns County.
- Coosa: Idle.
- Darlington: Idle.
- Model at Sonoraville.
- Pepperell: At Haralson County.
- Rome hosts Rockmart.
- Unity Christian School hosts Harvester.
- Adairsville hosts Chattooga.
- Cartersville hosts Morrow.
- Cass hosts Dawson County.
- Calhoun at Dalton.
- Gordon Central hosts Woodland.
- Cedartown at Carrollton.
- Trion: Idle.
Atlanta Braves begin road trip vs. Phillies.
- Latest results: Braves 4, Toronto 3. Making his first start of 2020 after initially electing not to play, Nick Markakis homered in the bottom of the 9th.
- Today: Friday-Monday at Phillies, 7:05 p.m. Friday; 6:05 p.m. Saturday and Monday; 1:05 p.m. Sunday. Radio: 1410 AM/96.9 FM
- 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
Shorter posts updated football schedule. The seven-game line-up includes three home games, all set for 1 p.m. Saturdays at Darlington. For more.
- Oct. 3, 6 p.m., at Delta State.
- Oct. 10, 6 p.m., at West Florida.
- Oct. 17, 1 p.m., West Alabama (played at Darlington).
- Oct. 24, 1 p.m., West Georgia (played at Darlington).
- Oct. 31, 7 p.m., at Valdosta State.
- Nov.7, 1 p.m., Mississippi College (played at Darlington).
- Nov. 14, at North Greenville.
Georgia Tech’s revised 2020 football schedule: The Yellow Jackets open their 11-game regular season at Florida State.
- Sept. 12: At Florida State.
- Sept. 19: Home vs. UCF.
- Sept. 26: At Syracuse.
- Oct. 9: Home vs. Louisville.
- Oct. 17: Home vs. Clemson.
- Oct. 24: At Boston College.
- Oct. 31: Home v. Notre Dame.
- Nov. 14: Home vs. Pitt.
- Nov. 21: At Miami.
- Nov. 28: Home vs. Duke.
- Dec. 5: At N.C. State.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation registering for the fall sports season; early registration deadline is Aug. 14: Baseball, softball, t-ball, football, cheerleading and volleyball will all take place this fall and are currently registering for the season. Parents can take advantage of early-registration discounts if they sign their children up by Aug. 14t. Coaches and officials are also needed for several sports. For more: 706.291.0766, www.rfpra.com or visit our main office at 1 Shorter Ave.
Parks and Recreation: Help wanted. With the fall sports season fast approaching, Rome-Floyd Parks and Recreation is hiring several part-time positions. Athletic officials for football, baseball, softball and volleyball are needed. Other part-time positions include gatekeepers and ticket takers, concession-stand workers, scorekeepers and yardage chain workers. All position can be viewed and applied for online here. For more: Shannan Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org.