Today’s first headlines:
- July: It took NW Georgia 4 months to see 1,962 COVID-19 patients; we more than doubled that in 31 days. 25% of the area deaths were in July; 75%, over 4 months before.
- No Chiaha festival this October. Northwest Georgia Regional Fair in Calhoun cancels September event. Knights’ Labor Day barbecue also off.
- Alcohol Control Commission to review beer/wine permits for Ana’s, Arabian Nights restaurants. Also: permit applications, license review for Brewhouse.
- Politics: Advance voting Saturday in Floyd County only. So far, nearly 4,900 votes in Floyd County; 1,500 in Gordon County; and 1,400 in Polk County.
- Ridge Ferry Park getting an updated playground; current equipment to be removed starting Monday.
- Health: Health: Wellstar online gala this evening supports COVID relief fund; features Northwest Georgia performers.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Low 90s through Monday with a heat index today of 99.
- Obituaries: Monica Barrett, Ms. Anita “June” Bradshaw, Mrs. Ruby “Inez” Payne Carter.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
Cedartown gets a no. 8 preseason pick.
Updated high school schedule for opening night, Sept. 4.
Latest Atlanta Braves results, preview.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.