Today’s first headlines:
- 158 new cases in NW Georgia in 24 hours; 886 in 7 days. Hospitals: 101 patients: 39 at Floyd, 12 pending. Redmond, 26 patients, 2 pending. Cartersville, 20. Gordon, 16.
- Dining: Diet-busting double-header due in Cartersville: Marble Slab Creamery/Great American Cookie Co. at Main Street Commons (near Kohl’s).
- Business: Airman USA Corp. expanding, growing into new space at Georgia North Business Center in Adairsville.
- GHC offers in-person, online choices this fall. All staff, students, visitors must wear ‘an appropriate face covering’ where six-foot social distancing not always be possible.
- More than 1,500 votes already in for the congressional runoff in Gordon County. Don’t forget you can vote in advance this Saturday in Floyd County.
- Floyd County Police add ‘Vixen 5,’ a device offering x-ray imaging technology. It also has found $28,000 cash, a pistol, 2 ounces of marijuana and a large quantity of ecstasy.
- Health: Floyd again honored for stroke patient care and treatment.
- Education: Georgia Northwestern’s drive-through commencement ceremony is Aug. 11. Coosa High, Unity students earn Burger King scholarships.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Heat index back today even in temps stay in upper 80s. Continuing to watch Tropical Storm Isaias.
- Obituaries: Mr. James Wiley Cothran Jr., Mr. Michael Gene Haney, Mr. George Harold Weaver Jr.
- Dining: Swift & Finch closed until Monday because of COVID case. Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- SEC to play 10 conference games; championship on Dec. 19; schedules pending.
- Model High’s Nia Allen to play at Berry.
- Latest high school football updates from GHSA.
- Braves continue homestand with Mets.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.