Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
Atlanta Braves home tonight vs. Rays, 7:10 start. Mets in town Friday-Monday.
- Latest results: Braves 7, Rays 4. Freddie Freeman had a home opener to remember vs. the Rays: four hits, including his first home run of 2020.
- Today: Home vs Rays, 7:10 p.m. Mets at Braves Friday through Monday; 7:10 p.m. games except Sunday at 1:10 p.m.
- 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
Nick Markakis has decided to rejoin the Braves for the remainder of the season. “Sometimes, we all make rash decisions that are not thought out thoroughly,” Markakis said. Markakis surprised many on July 6, when he announced he had elected not to play this year. But when the 36-year-old veteran revealed his plans to return on Wednesday afternoon, he said he spent the past few weeks feeling like he had made a mistake. His desire to return grew greater as he watched the entirety of the 2-3 season-opening road trip the Braves completed on Tuesday night. “Sitting at home, watching these guys compete the last couple days and all the risks they’re taking going out there, in a way, deep down in the pit of my stomach, I felt like I needed to be out there,” Markakis said. “I had the opportunity to be welcomed back and here I am. I’m going to do my best to get back as quick as I can and help these guys out.” (From MLB)
The Braves activated newly acquired outfielder Scott Schebler and their two primary catchers — Travis d’Arnaud and Tyler Flowers — before Wednesday night’s home opener against the Rays at Truist Park. d’Arnaud and Flowers were placed on the COVID-19 injured list when they began showing symptoms last week. Both tested negative multiple times and were given clearance to begin working out at the team’s facilities again on Tuesday. Schebler was acquired from the Reds for cash considerations last week. The 29-year-old left-handed slugger, who hit 30 homers in 2017, will provide some depth. He runs well and is considered an above-average defensive outfielder.
ACC releases 11-game schedule for each team per Sporting News: First games play Sept. 7-12.
Georgia Tech football schedule
- Home: Duke, Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt
- Away: Boston College, Florida State, Miami, N.C. State, Syracuse
Clemson football schedule
- Home: Boston College, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia
- Away: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
The Atlanta Falcons announced Wednesday that fullback Keith Smith and safety Jamal Carter have been placed on the team’s reserve/COVID-19 list. Due to league policy pertaining to COVID-19, NFL teams are only allowed to comment on a player’s roster status and may not disclose whether or not a player is in quarantine or tested positive. A five-day initial testing phase began for rookies on July 21, and they have been undergoing daily tests as part of the NFL’s COVID-19 testing protocol. Atlanta’s veterans began their five-day initial testing phase Tuesday morning.
- Great COVID update: Of the 344 players tested for COVID-19 on the NBA campus since test results were last announced on July 20, zero have returned confirmed positive tests.
- The 2019-20 NBA season resumes tonight as the New Orleans Pelicans meet the Utah Jazz (6:30 p.m.) and the Los Angeles Lakers face the LA Clippers (9 p.m.) in a doubleheader on TNT.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation registering for the fall sports season; early registration deadline is Aug. 14: Baseball, softball, t-ball, football, cheerleading and volleyball will all take place this fall and are currently registering for the season. Parents can take advantage of early-registration discounts if they sign their children up by Aug. 14t. Coaches and officials are also needed for several sports. For more: 706.291.0766, www.rfpra.com or visit our main office at 1 Shorter Ave.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL 2020
Formal practice starts Monday per GHSA. The first games are now set for Friday, Sept. 4.
- Armuchee at Towns County.
- Rome vs. Rockmart at Barron Stadium.
- Model at Sonoraville.
- Cartersville at Morrow.
- Calhoun at Dalton.
- Cedartown at Carrollton.
- Gordon Central hosts Woodland.
- Trion: Open on Sept. 4 as of now.