Today’s first headlines:
- Derry Richardson, others in Floyd County Schools thefts/RICO case, enter guilty pleas. Patterson: ‘We have successfully recovered almost all of the $6 million in stolen funds.’
- Floyd County School Board votes 4-1 to return to in-class teaching Aug. 13. Virtual options available if parents prefer.
- 4 more die in Bartow; that’s 55 since March. Region total: 98. Hospitalizations at 74 including 52 in Rome, 22 in Cartersville. Free COVID testing today at Thankful Baptist.
- COVID updates: Greater Community Bank closes lobbies in Rome, Calhoun; government services closed in Summerville, Calhoun.
- GBI investigating assault on Floyd County police officers; suspect remains in the county jail.
- Rome City Commission increases pay for police, firefighters effective Saturday.
- Business: Carquest Auto Parts on the move from Fifth Avenue to Berry Crossing. Interest in restaurant site?
- Services of Tori Luke set for Friday evening at the Rockmart High Gymnasium; her teammates to serve as honorary pallbearers,
- Shorter Hawks leaving Barron, to play fall football games at Darlington’s Chris Hunter Stadium. Deal includes track and field as well.
- Buzz: Whit’s 9th Annual Lemonade and Cookie Stand is Wednesday (wear a mask!)
- Education: More honors for Rome High graduate Alan Viniegra. More student account security upgrades at Georgia Highlands.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: A slight break in the heat by Wednesday; more rain, especially Thursday.
- Obituaries: : Mr. Aaron Andrew Chastain, Mr. Lamar Hammond, Mr. Robert Lamar “Bob” Hilliard, Mr. Paul W. Winston.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores, Tuesday-Saturday.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
Today: Braves at the Rays; game updates.
- Updates from Monday night’s game.
- Wednesday: ‘Home opener’ for the Braves (vs. Rays).
Corky Kell aftermath for Rome, Cedartown, Rockmart and the classic itself.
High praise for Darlington Football from one veteran TV announcer.
Hometown Text Network:
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.