From City of Rome: The City of Rome Public Works placed the last 2,000 feet of pavement on Phase 1 of the Mount Berry Trail on Friday. This beautiful trail begins behind the U.S. Post Office off U.S. 27 and follows the banks of the Oostanaula River up to Big Dry Creek. Spriggs Construction was contracted to lay a specialized asphalt that allows water to seep through the pavement for better sustainability.
The Rome City Commission will meet Monday, July 27, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall. Caucus will begin at 5 p.m. in the Sam King Room. On the agenda will be a number of public hearings including:
- A special use permit and rezoning request for about 7-acres of property at 1301 Martha Berry Blvd., the current home of Sumo Restaurant. Sutherland Capital, LLC is applying on behalf of owners Kyi Mun and Kyung Soon Kim to rezone the property from Duplex Residential to Community Commercial for Multi-Family Use in a Community Commercial zoning district. The proposal is to develop the Martha Berry Senior Project, a 64 unit, 3-story senior community. The Planning Commission gave approval 6-0. A second reading and public hearing would be held at the Commission’s next meeting on July 27.
- Request for a Special Use Permit for backyard chickens at 300 Pheasant Run, Rome, GA, zoned Suburban Residential. Applicant/Owner: Kathrine Sho. Planning Commission Denial 6-0.
- The final of 3 public hearings on the 2020 Ad Velorum Tax Mill Rate increase. Details
The Floyd County Board of Commissioners will meet on Tuesday, July 28, 2020, in the Community Room, Suite 206, on the second floor of the Floyd County Administration Building, 12 East 4th Avenue, Rome. Caucus will begin at 4 p.m. in the Commissioners Caucus Room, Suite 204, followed by the Board Meeting at 6 p.m. The meetings are open to the public. Everyone in attendance is asked to wear a mask and to practice social distancing. On the agenda will be 3 rezoning requests for second reading and public hearings:
- Rezoning request for ten (10) acres section of property located on Old Summerville Road to be rezoned from Suburban Residential to Heavy Commercial. This was recommended for approval by the planning staff. The planning commission recommended denial (5-1).
- Rezoning request as well as a Special Use Permit for a winery on 58 acres at 602D Billy Pyle Road from Suburban Residential to Agricultural Residential. Planning staff recommended approval on the condition that the applicant plant a vegetative buffer along the easement to protect the neighboring homeowners. The planning commission recommended approval (6-0).
- Request for a special use permit for a manufactured home for the property at 12 Beverly Drive, Rome. The Planning staff recommended denial. The planning commission
recommended approval (4-2).