Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Truett’s Chick-fli-A, 264 Shorter Ave., 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Drive-through and Door Dash.
Mount Berry Mall, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (curbside, carryout, Door Dash). Shipping Container, 6 a.m.-10 p.m. All Monday-Saturday.
- Today: 4:10 p.m. at the Mets.
- Health updates: Catchers Travis d’Arnaud and Tyler Flowers were unavailable for the Braves’ Opening Day matchup against the Mets in New York, manager Brian Snitker announced on Friday. Atlanta summoned Alex Jackson and William Contreras to take their places. d’Arnaud and Flowers both have tested negative for the coronavirus, but both have exhibited symptoms, so they are currently back in Atlanta. d’Arnaud signed with the Braves this winter after tying a career high with 16 homers for the Rays. Flowers has played four seasons in Atlanta, hitting .254 with 39 home runs in 349 games. Jackson, the Mariners’ first-round pick in 2014, made his Major League debut for the Braves last season. He played in four games, going 0-for-13 with a walk. Contreras, Atlanta’s No. 9 prospect, is the brother of Cubs All-Star backstop Willson Contreras. He has opened eyes with a very strong summer camp.
- 60-game 2020 Schedule / TV Braves
- Around the majors. MLB / Scores/Schedule / MLB Network
HIGH SCHOOL, part one:
From the Georgia High School Association: Guidance for Acclimatization and Practice with recommendations and/or restrictions (begins Monday):
Schools/ School Systems may be more restrictive than the GHSA but not less.
Acclimatization and Practice workouts are allowed as outlined on the GHSA Beginning and Ending Dates as published on the GHSA website: sports specific equipment
(including balls) may be used and should be sanitized between sessions.
Member schools are strongly encouraged to review and modify if necessary, their Infectious Disease Prevention Plan. The GaDOE has guidance available with
recommendations created in conjunction with the Governor’s Task Force.
It is recommended that staff and athletes are screened prior to each workout as outlined in their Infectious Disease Plan.
Groups are not limited in numbers, but schools should consider limiting groups as much as feasibly possible.
Use of locker rooms or shower facilities are acceptable with the following guidance. o Facilities and all equipment should be sanitized after each practice.
o Social Distancing should be practiced. If needed groups should dress in stages.
o Mask/Face coverings are highly recommended for locker room, weight room and indoor athletic facilities.
o Students shall not congregate in locker room and indoor facilities.
Weight equipment should be cleaned prior to each workout and sanitized between use by each student.
Hand sanitizer should be plentiful and readily available.
Each school should develop a hydration plan for all teams for safety reasons.
Side spots only in weight training, safety bars are preferred.
Mask/Face covering are highly recommended for Coaches/Staff at all times.
Social distancing should be adhered to as much as possible.
Scrimmages are allowed as outlined in the GHSA Constitution and By Laws.
Guidance regarding stadium seating, concessions, venues and spectators will be coming later from sport administrators. Without going into detail, these decisions will be made on
the local level with an expectation of including Department of Health, local health professionals, and school district policies. Recommendations and restrictions are fluid and subject to change. Safety must be our top priority.
Formal practice starts Aug. 1 per GHSA. The first games are now set for Friday, Sept. 4.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation is now registering for the fall sports season: Baseball, softball, t-ball, football, cheerleading and volleyball will all take place this fall and are currently registering for the season. Parents can take advantage of early-registration discounts if they sign their children up before the last week of July. The early registration deadline for football and cheerleading is July 26. Early registration deadlines for baseball and softball are Aug. 2 and the early registration deadline for volleyball is Aug. 11. Coaches and officials are also needed for several sports. For more: 706.291.0766, www.rfpra.com or visit our main office at 1 Shorter Ave.
- Armuchee at Towns County.
- Rome vs. Rockmart at Barron Stadium.
- Model at Sonoraville.
- Cedartown vs Carrollton.
- Gordon Central hosts Woodland.
- Trion: Open on Sept. 4 as of now.