Today’s top headlines:
- 13 in Floyd, Redmond with COVID-19; state adds 123 more. Monday sees 2,207 new cases in Georgia. Kemp extends public health state of emergency, safety protocol.
- Cartersville man now faces murder, three other counts following Sunday evening shooting.
- Politics: District 14 GOP hopefuls John Cowan, Marjorie Taylor Greene in televised debate July 19-20. Floyd Democrats set virtual meeting for Thursday.
- Business: Prime downtown Rome spot on the market for $450,000 — with parking.
- Buzz: Gas prices rising just as fast as the temperature. Rome History Center returns July 7.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Another steamer on the way with a heat index of 98. Rain possible on Independence Day, that evening.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Andra Lou McStotts Pope.
- Dining: Aventine returns after deep cleaning — but takes a break starting Friday. Public Health restaurant inspection scores.
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:
- Amid pandemic, a centennial celebration for the Negro Leagues.
- Baseball camps open Wednesday.
- High school football schedule for 2020.
Hometown Newscasts, Text Network:
- Newscast, Rant of the Day, podcasts. Free alerts: Text 313131; type HHpodcasts. Advertise: 706-346-2031.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.
- HometownDeal alerts: Text 313131, the Hometowndeal. Best ad deal in town: $25 per text. Call 706-346-2031.