Plainville storm damage: A barn and outhouse off Webber Road in Plainville were destroyed during Saturday afternoon’s storms, according to Gordon County Emergency Management. Elsewhere: Several thousand lost power as trees fell on power lines throughout the area.
Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms will be possible each afternoon and evening. Gusty winds, frequent lightning, and heavy rain will be possible with any storms that do develop.
CODE ORANGE AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FOR ATLANTA (Including Bartow County) today: Under Code Orange conditions, the outdoor air quality is likely to be unhealthy for some people. Children, people who are sensitive to ozone, and people with heart or lung disease should limit prolonged outdoor exertion during the late afternoon or early evening when ozone concentrations are highest.
Georgia Department of Public Health urges people, especially individuals with chronic lung conditions, to protect themselves from dust from the Saharan dust cloud as it moves over Georgia. Strong, warm winds over the Sahara desert typically kick up sand at this time of year and carry it thousands of miles across the Atlantic Ocean. This year, the dust is more dense than it’s been in 50-60 years The dust cloud is expected to be around for the next few days. The dust can cause eye, nose and throat irritation for anyone who comes in contact with it, and may cause wheezing in people with allergies or asthma. The best advice is to limit exposure to the dust and take precautions to protect your health:
- If it appears hazy or dusty outside, limit outdoor activities such as yard work, exercise, children playing.
- Wear a face mask outside to keep dust particles out of the nose and mouth, and to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Pay attention to local air quality reports and news coverage related to the dust plume.
- Keep indoor air as clean as possible. Keep windows and doors closed. Run an air conditioner if you have one, but keep the fresh-air intake closed.
- Follow the advice of your doctor or other health care provider about medicines and condition management if you have asthma or another lung condition.
- If you experience a medical emergency, call 911.
Sunday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 11am and 3pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
Sunday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 71. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Monday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Tuesday: Showers and thunderstorms likely after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70.