State Patrol: Summerville man faces multiple charges, including 3 counts of aggravated assault against a peace officer, following chase that ends with wreck in Armuchee.

State Patrol: Summerville man faces multiple charges, including 3 counts of aggravated assault against a peace officer, following chase that ends with wreck in Armuchee.


Chase and concluding accident map courtesy of the Georgia State Patrol.


A Summerville man faces multiple charges, including three counts of aggravated assault against a peace officer, following a chase from Summerville into the Armuchee area early Monday. Arrested was Wyatt Keith Standfield, 26. According to the report from Georgia State Patrol Trooper J.L.Gass:

On June 22, 2020, while patrolling in Floyd County, I heard radio traffic that Summerville Police Department was
involved in a pursuit related to an earlier BOLO. The BOLO was in regards to a male subject that had
threatened harm to himself and others. The pursuit was traveling west on GA 114 toward Alabama,
away from my location. I continued to monitor traffic but I initially did not respond due to the distance
and direction from my location.

I then heard that the violator had turned around and was traveling east on GA 114. I began to respond toward the pursuit while maintaining normal patrol speed. I inquired
through the Troop A Communications Center if Summerville PD needed assistance. I then heard
Summerville PD requesting GSP assistance over the radio. As the pursuit continued east on GA 114,
three Chattooga Deputies were nearly struck by the violator, a fact I did not know until after the pursuit.

Summerville PD discontinued the pursuit but provided a last known location, GA 1 south at Gore
Subligna Road. At the time, I was on GA 1 several miles south of the last known location. The
information was put out on the radio and Ranger Jason Warren of DNR also attempted to locate the
vehicle. Moments later, Ranger Warren advised he had located the vehicle which was traveling south
at a high rate of speed. The violator fled, initiating a second pursuit.

By this point I was about a mile and a half south of the pursuit location. I turned south and waited in the median of GA 1. I observed the
violator’s vehicle, a silver Kia Sorento, approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed. I checked the
speed of the Kia at 108 mph in a 65-mph zone.

I activated my emergency equipment, took over the primary position in the pursuit, and notified the communications center of the
pursuit and my location. Approximately .2 miles after passing my location, the violator attempted to
make a left turn onto GA 156. The vehicle ran off the right side of the roadway and struck a ditch. The
front right tire was deflated. I exited my patrol car and began approaching but then observed the
violator attempting to continue in the vehicle. I retreated momentarily, but when I saw that the vehicle
was stuck, I again began cautiously approaching with my pistol trained on the driver.

When the vehicle could not drive out of the ditch, the violator began exiting the vehicle from the passenger’s side. I
transitioned to my taser and ran around the vehicle. I caught up to the violator at the top of the
embankment as he was running away. After approximately 20 feet, and before entering the woods, I deployed my taser.

The taser probes struck the violator on the left, middle section of his back. The
violator was incapacitated and fell to the ground. I instructed the violator to roll over to his stomach. He
complied and was cuffed by Ranger Warren while I maintained coverage with my taser to prevent
further resistance.

The violator was identified as Wyatt Keith Stanfield. After his arrest, Mr. Stanfield was compliant and
followed all of my commands. I checked Mr. Stanfield for weapons and then removed the taser probes
from his back. I asked Mr. Stanfield if he was injured from the crash, and he had no complaints.

Chattooga County Deputy Dawson #16 arrived on the scene. He advised that he would be charging Mr.
Stanfield with three counts of aggravated assault against a peace officer in addition to the pursuit
charges. Due to the serious nature of the charges brought by Deputy Dawson, Mr. Stanfield was turned
over to Deputy Dawson. Deputy Dawson transported Mr. Stanfield to Redmond Medical Center for
clearance prior to transporting him to the Floyd County Jail. I will be seeking warrants in Floyd County
for Fleeing (felony), Reckless Driving, Speeding (108/65), and Obstruction (misdemeanor).

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.