Today’s top headlines:
- Rome’s JC Penney among stores being closed in Georgia. Mall owners hope to use ‘this setback to create an opportunity for successful businesses to serve the Rome community.’
- Community — in person and through social media — hears words of peace, healing as Trinity United Methodist Church hosted an all-faiths ecumenical service.
- Three rallies set for Rome this weekend. Polk authorities on watch; sheriff doubts claims but says all are ready. Gaylesville woman charged with attempting to ‘incite a riot.’
- Floyd County Schools posts six ‘scenarios’ for reopening classrooms, currently set for Aug. 6. Each depends on status of the pandemic.
- Third employee in Floyd County court system tests positive; another being retested. Building has been fogged, sanitized twice this week.
- Coronavirus: 2,147 deaths in Georgia since first fatality on March 5. Positive tests will top 50,000 Friday. Locally: 1,140 positive tests with 37 new reports Thursday.
- Final day of advance voting for Tuesday’s primaries; absentee ballots due by 7 p.m. June 9. Statewide turnout tops 1 million already.
- Remembering Dr. Robert V. Ozment: Native Roman touched the world through preaching, practices and publications, including a long-running column in the AJC, Rome News-Tribune and throughout the South.
Today’s other headlines:
- Health: Been putting off that check-up? ‘Going too long without a well-check visit could lead to potential health issues.’
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Highs in the upper 80s to 90 through Sunday; some rain, storms possible.
- Rant of the day plus our headlines’ newscast.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Ophelia Jerry Barnes, Mr. Wayne Edward Dykes, Mrs. Bonnie Sue Jordan Freeman, Mr. Benjamin R. “Benji” Logan, Mary C Smith, John F. Wiggins Jr.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores. Plus: Cartersville’s Swheat Market Deli reopens Monday
- Crimewatch: Updates on area arrests.
Truett’s Chick-Fil-A Sports Report:.
- ‘Hometown Heroes’ tennis tournament set.
- Owen’s reopens Monday (high school conditioning, too).
- Racing in Georgia this weekend.
- NBA ready to return; NFL takes steps.
- Plus links to today’s pro sports updates.
Hometown Newscasts, Text Network:
- Newscast, Rant of the Day, podcasts. Free alerts: Text 313131; type HHpodcasts. Advertise: 706-346-2031.
- Subscribe to major news alerts. Text 313131; type HometownRome. Sponsor: Heritage First Bank.
- HometownDeal alerts: Text 313131, the Hometowndeal. Best ad deal in town: $25 per text. Call 706-346-2031.