Saturday, May 23 update: The Georgia State Patrol has arrested Ronnie William Barker, 36, of Lindale and charged him in connection with the April 21 crash on Redmond Circle that killed Valerie Watts, 51, and Antwan Jamerson, 18, both of Rome. Barker remains in the Floyd County Jail. According to GSP, Barker is charged with the following:
- Two counts of Homicide by Vehicle
- Unlawful purchase, possession, control of any controlled substance
- Failure to Maintain Lane
From the Georgia State Patrol:
On April 21, at approximately 6:20 p.m., a 2015 Ford F450 4×4 Crew Cab was traveling north on Redmond Circle in the left lane. A second vehicle, a 1997 Infiniti I30, was traveling south on Redmond Circle in the left lane. The pickup truck crossed the centerline and struck the Infiniti in the front with its front. The deceased were the driver and the rear seat passenger of the Infiniti. Charges are pending the conclusion of the GSP Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team.
- Pickup driver: Ronnie Barker, age 36 of Lindale, who was not injured.
- Infiniti driver: Valarie Watts, age 51 of Rome, who was fatally injured.
- Infiniti passenger: Thomas Watts, age 49 of Rome, was injured and was transported to Floyd Medical Center. He’s listed in critical condition as of 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
- Infiniti passenger: Antwan Jamerson, age 18 of Rome, was fatally injured.
The report is not complete.
Floyd County Coroner Gene Proctor says both victims died from massive blunt force trauma after the truck veered into the path of the Infiniti. The car overtuned and caught fire, he says. Chief Deputy Coroner Connie Chandler was called to the accident at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday and she pronounced both victims dead at the scene as of 7:15 p.m., adds Proctor.