Hometown’s top headlines: please click here
- Shaw Industries temporarily closing four plants in Bartow County after four employees test positive for coronavirus. Shaw is Bartow’s largest employer.
- Coronavirus: U.S. now leads world with 86,000 cases. AdventHealth Gordon patient dies. Georgia death toll at 56 including 4 here. Bartow shelter-in-place updates.
- Public Health director’s grim forecast: ‘We expect to see more COVID-19 cases and, sadly, more deaths.’ The initial cases ‘are related to one group gathering.’
- Jobs: State labor department expecting ‘unprecedented demand for economic relief’ as layoffs begin; actions follow reports of robust February in Northwest Georgia.
- Education: Early look at what Kemp’s decision to postpone reopening of public schools means to Floyd County, Rome districts. GNTC to stay online throughout semester.
- Helping: Tyson Foods steps up to help Floyd Schools, YMCA sponsor pop-up markets; Heritage Sleep Concepts changes operations, making needed masks.
Today’s other news:
- John James Shillibeer, wanted on more than a dozen burglary, theft and other counts in Northwest Georgia, booked into the Floyd County Jail.
- Hixon, Tenn., man held on child molestation, Internet solicitation charges.
- Weather service: ‘Microburst’ during Tuesday night’s thunderstorm packed 80-mph gusts, flattened trees off U.S. 411 near Kingston.
- Health: Flu deaths in Georgia hold at 83 through March 14; almost double the toll from the previous season.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Local flooding updates. Recording-tying heat possible today — 88 degrees; low 80s on Saturday.
- Obituaries: Mrs. Rosemarie Dorsam Bates, Ms. Cora Davenport, Mr. William Larry Fallin, Mr. John “Pop” Moschak, Mr. Edward Dick Whatley.
- Dining: Public Health restaurant inspection scores.
Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on arrests. Crimewatch
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report. Click
- Baseball marks #OpeningDayatHome.
- MLB commissioner’s comments on what’s being done.
- Links to what’s happening with Northwest Georgia sports teams, venues.
Hometown Podcast Network & text alerts.
- Broadcasts: Free weekday newscasts and rants, and Druck Report interviews. At Apple Podcasts, Spotify.
- Subscribe to our free local deal alert: Discounts, BOGOs and other deals. $25 per deal. Text 313131; in the message field, type Hometowndeal.
- Subscribe to our free newscast/podcast text alerts. Text 313131; in the message field, type HHpodcasts.
- Subscribe to our major news alerts. Text 313131; in the message field, type HometownRome. Brought to you by Heritage First Bank.