We’re posting key updates (mostly local) throughout the news day. Some also will be expanded on our pages throughout the day.
- Possible second death in Floyd County? Latest situation report from Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security reports 2 deaths in county.
- Pirelli North America to lower production and close Rome plant for cleaning. Updates
- Floyd County Jail to end on-site video visitation on Monday, moves to remote video visitation system next week.
- Bartow County Schools’ staff member at Hamilton Crossing Elementary School tests positive.
- Shaw closes Cartersville site for cleaning after employee tests positive for coronavirus.Updates
- Cartersville, Bartow County declares public health emergency, signs resolution closing restaurants (except takeout), bars well as “assembly” spots
- 7 confirmed cases at Floyd, Redmond; 33 awaiting test results (as of Saturday afternoon).
- The latest: 20 coronavirus deaths in Georgia. Bartow surges to 56 cases vs 26 on Thursday (up 115%). Floyd has 8 cases. Polk and Gordon both have 4 each. State cases now at 555, up 42-percent from 485 on Friday. (as of 7 p.m. Saturday)
- Georgia coronavirus numbers now updated twice daily. “To ensure that the numbers being provided through the COVID-19 data tool on the DPH website, dph.ga.gov, are the most current numbers available, the updates will now be done at noon and 7 p.m. each day.
- Harbin Clinic adopts ‘no visitor policy’ at all sites. Latest safety advice.
- The City of Cartersville announces moving city staff to rotating shifts; suspending yard waste and recycling pickup, delay in bulk leaf pickup and drive-through hours.
- From Synovus: Northwest Georgia markets have temporarily converted to drive-through and appointment-only. Drive-through capabilities at all branches have expanded, and lobby services can be scheduled by dialing the branch, completing a request on Synovus.com, or by calling Synovus’ Customer Care Center at 1.888.796.6887.
- The Floyd County Sheriff’s Office has exhausted its supply of cleaning buckets as of Friday morning. “We are still trying to raise money for more.” To help, please click here.
- Tax forms and payments won’t be due to the Internal Revenue Service until July 15 this year, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a tweet, Bloomberg News reports.
NATIONAL/WORLD UPDATE, 7 p.m. Saturday:
- Worldwide: 303,816 cases with 12,966 deaths and 91,676 identified as recovered (majority listed from China alone).
- United States: 24,783 cases with 301 deaths including 20 in Georgia (as of 7 p.m. Saturday) and 1 in Floyd County.
- Source: Johns Hopkins
- 12 p.m. Sunday next statewide coronavirus update.
- Throughout the day: Updates from Cartersville Medical Center, Floyd Medical Center, Redmond Regional Medical Center and Public Health. (schedules will vary).