The National Weather Service has extended the winter weather advisory for our area from now until 4 this afternoon. We could see up to 1-2 inches of snow. A winter storm warning is in effect for Gordon County and eastward across Northeast Georgia until 4 p.m. Those counties could see up to two inches of snow with travel issues as well.
10 a.m. update: Slick roads reported all over Floyd County. E-911 says to use caution if you have to go out. Bridges are accumulating snow. GDOT and Public Works crews are working to treat roadways. Slick spots reported on Hwy. 101 and US 27 and lots of side roads.
From Bartow County Fire Department (10:30 a.m.): Heavy snow across the north end of Bartow County. Multiple accidents. Please stay off the roads if don’t have to travel.
- Today’s Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship at Saint Mary’s Catholic School is canceled.
- The Rome-Floyd County Library is closed today.
- From Model High: Today’s Region (7-AA) basketball tournament games have been rescheduled for Monday due to weather. Game times will remain the same.
- Region 6-AAA basketball tournament games rescheduled for Monday at North Murray. The girls will play at 4:00 PM and the boys will play at 5:30 PM.
- From Rome City Schools: Currently there are no cancellations. We are continuing to monitor the weather. (as of 9:30 a.m.)
Winter Weather Advisory extended until 4 p.m. Saturday. According to the National Weather Service:
- WHAT…Snow expected…mixed with rain at times. Total snow accumulations of up to two inches. Amounts of generally less than an inch possible for the Atlanta Metro area.
- WHERE…Generally west of Interstate 85 and north of Interstate 20.
- WHEN…Until 4 this afternoon.
- IMPACTS…Plan on slippery road conditions…especially on bridges and overpasses…or during heavier bursts of snow.
- DETAILS…Temperatures are expected to warm by afternoon so a transition to all rain should bring improving conditions. Temperatures should drop below freezing again tonight…making black ice possible on Sunday morning.
Winter storm warning for Gordon County including Catoosa-Dade-Murray-Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-Walker-White-Whitfield-Cherokee-Forsyth-Hall until 4 p.m. (NW Georgia) and 7 tonight:
- WHAT…Moderate to heavy snow expected at times. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches.
- WHERE…Portions of north central and northeast Georgia.
- WHEN…Until 7 this evening.
- IMPACTS…Travel could be very difficult.
- DETAILS…Accumulating snow on area roadways, and reduced visibility in snow, could make travel very difficult. Temperatures should drop below freezing again tonight…making black ice possible on Sunday morning.
From GDOT on Saturday: We’re seeing a lot of snow in our area. Please limit your travel and only be out on the roads as absolutely necessary. We’re working hard to clear the roads. If you have to drive, please use caution.