As rumored, red-hot discount retailer Five Below is joining the line-up at East Bend, rising quickly on the remnants of Kmart, the convenience store and a small strip center off Turner McCall and Hicks Drive in East Rome. We expect an October opening if not sooner.
The latest report from the building department shows Five Below has applied for a buildout permit valued at $319,250. It appears Five Below will go into a spot designated as Anchor 3, both listed as being at 80 Hicks Drive. On the above map, Anchor 3 is the store in the upper left corner closest to Hicks Drive.
The report also shows Ledbetter Properties has taken out permits for
- Anchor 2/shop C at 90 Hicks Drive.
- Shops B at 1431 Turner McCall Blvd. It appears dead center and to the left in the above map, backing up to the railroad track. The pad appears to be going in at this time.
- Shops A at 1451 Turner McCall Blvd. It appears dead center and to the right in the above map, backing up to the railroad track. The pad appears to be going in at this time.
About the store: “Five Below is a leading high-growth value retailer offering trend-right, high-quality products loved by tweens, teens and beyond. We know life is way better when you’re free to “let go & have fun” in an amazing experience filled with unlimited possibilities. With the vast majority of items priced $1-$5, and a handful of extreme value items priced up to just $10, we make it easy to say YES! to the newest, coolest stuff across 8 awesome Five Below worlds: Style, Room, Play, Create, Party, Candy, New & Now and Ten Below Tech. Founded in 2002 and headquartered in Philadelphia, Five Below today has 900 stores in 36 states.”
The East Bend scorecard as of Jan. 31:
- Panda Express: $800,000.
- Texas Roadhouse: $750,000.
- Chipotle: Corporate says expect a late fall opening. New this month: $315,000 permit (shell).
- McAlister’s Deli is scheduled to open in August if construction stays on schedule. Both corporate and franchise teams say the restaurant likely will be open from 10:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. (although a 10 p.m. closing is under consideration). The franchisee is looking to hire between 40-60 people. It will occupy 3,100 square feet.
- Discount Tire has been issued an $800,000 permit for a store at 1407 Turner McCall Drive.
Ledbetter Properties, the site developer, has said 20 to 28 retailers and restaurants will fill the 20-acre campus with openings set by October 2020. With Five Below now confirmed, others rumored to be on the way: Old Navy as well as Bed, Bath & Beyond.