Northwest Georgia counties saw an increase in the jobless rate in December vs. the previous month but it was Chattooga County that saw the most impact. Some 1,360 people there were unemployed last month. Mount Vernon Mills has announced up to 100 layoffs are pending as part of a restructuring.
Employment snapshot: County-by-county
- Floyd: 3.7%, up from 3.1% the previous month, down from 4.4% a year earlier.
- Bartow: 3.2%, up from 2.6% in November, down from 3.7% in December 2018.
- Chattooga: 12.2%, (1,360 people), up from 3.3% in November and 4.2% a year ago.
- Gordon: 3.4%, up from 2.7% in November, down from 4.0% in December 2018.
- Polk: 3.2%, up from 2.9% a month earlier, down from 4.1% vs. the same month last year.
Media release: Georgia Labor Commissioner Mark Butler said Thursday that Rome added to its labor force in December. According to preliminary data, Rome also added employed residents across the one-county metropolitan statistical area (MSA). Almost all critical indicators remained positive for the year.
“This was a very positive year for the state,” Butler said. “We saw over-the-year growth in almost every MSA, and our key jobs sectors continue to grow as the economy expands.”
By the numbers:
- In Rome, the unemployment rate increased by 0.6 percentage points, reaching 3.7 percent. A year ago, the rate was 4.4 percent.
- The labor force increased in December by 376. The total was 45,074. That number is up by 762 from the total from December 2018.
- Rome ended December with 43,392 employed residents. That number increased by 82 over the month and increased by 1,028 when compared to the same time a year ago.
- Rome ended December with 43,000 jobs. That number decreased by 100 over the month but increased by 1,100 jobs when compared to the same time a year ago.
- The number of unemployment claims increased by 233 percent in December. When compared to last December, claims were up by about 100 percent.
- Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed about 627 active job postings in metro Rome for December.