Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Calhoun’s Gavin Gray leads 20 Berry Football All-Conference honorees. Release: In exclusive voting by head coaches of the Southern Athletic Association, Berry College’s Gavin Gray claimed the league’s Newcomer of the Year honor to lead 20 Vikings on the All-SAA teams. Mason Kinsey, Jacob Bishop, Trey Gregory, Mac Wells, Brandon Palmer, Mark Sommerville II and Devin Grier claimed All-SAA first-team recognition. Isaiah Dawson, Luke Seale, Antonio Brown, David Galloway, Jack Carroll and Alex Kirkendoll earned second-team honors. David Haithcock, Cade Kennemore, Garrett Kinsey, Cullen Carlin, Jordan Wilson and Matthew Syverson rounded out the honorable mention selections.
Mercer parts ways with Bobby Lamb: Mercer Director of Athletics Jim Cole announced Sunday that the school would part ways with head football coach Bobby Lamb, effective immediately. “Days like today are very difficult, especially when you are talking about someone like Bobby Lamb,” Cole said. “Everyone at Mercer has the utmost respect for Bobby, his family, the football staff and our student-athletes. “We have all worked side-by-side to start and grow the Mercer football program from a dream to an actual reality. Bobby Lamb shouldered the majority of that burden and workload in that process. We can never thank him enough.” Lamb was hired in 2011 as the 19th head football coach in program history and was tasked with guiding the Bears through a return to the gridiron following a 72-year hiatus from the sport. Mercer was 41-39 in his seven seasons at the helm.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
John McClellan picks for the high school playoffs: Cartersville by a touchdown over Woodward Academy. Plus: Statewide forecast. McClellan
Round 3 of GHSA State Football Playoffs on Friday:
- Class 4A: Cartersville will host Woodward.
- Tickets: The Canes will be facing Woodward Academy on Friday night at Weinman Stadium 7:30 pm. Pre-sale tickets available Monday from 10-1 p.m. and Friday from noon-3 p.m. at the Storm Center. Tickets are $12 each and $10 for CHS students (one ticket per student).
- The game will be broadcast on WBHF 100.3 FM and AM 1450.
- What’s next: Georgia High School Association did the coin toss for semifinals. Cartersville would host winner of the Blessed Trinity-West Laurens game in the semifinals with a win Friday night.
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Next: Georgia at home, noon kickoff, Saturday. TV: Channel 2 (ABC). Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs. Next: At Georgia Tech, noon Saturday. Pregame coverage begins at 8 a.m. on 95.5 FM. TV: Channel 2. Bulldogs
- SEC Championship: Georgia vs. LSU, Dec. 7 at 4 p.m. at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta. TV: CBS.
- ACC Championship: Clemson vs. TBA, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m., Charlotte. TV: ABC
ATLANTA FALCONS: Home Thursday vs. New Orleans Saints, 8:20 p.m. TV: NBC. Radio: 92.9 FM. Falcons
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL
- Rome Lady Wolves 70 East Paulding 36.
- East Paulding Raiders 79 Rome 64.
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.