Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
Model’s win over Chattooga, Pepperell’s loss to Rockmart after a closely contested first half and Sonoraville’s defeat of Adairsville to gain an advantage in the battle for a playoff spot highlighted a Friday night of football marked by perfect weather and gorgeous sunsets. Cartersville and Unity Christian kept their unbeaten streaks alive while Rome and Calhoun dominated their opponents.
The showdown between undefeated Darlington and once-beaten Bowdon highlights tis week’s action. Hiram-Rome, Gordon Central-Model, and Troup-Cedartown also are key games affecting the playoff picture with only three weeks remaining in the regular season.
Class A Public Number 6 Bowdon (6-1, 3-1) at Class A Private Number 4 Darlington (7-0, 4-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 14-7
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Bowdon 17-7 on October 19, 2018
- The Darlington Tigers remained unbeaten with a one-sided 38-6 win on the road over Trion to remain the favorite to win the Region 6-A Division A subregion championship. The Bowdon Red Devils, who entered Friday night without a loss fell from the ranks of the undefeated following a 28-14 loss to a Christian Heritage team Darlington had beaten three weeks ago. Darlington wins by 19.
Hiram (5-2, 5-0) at Class 5A Number 6 Rome (6-2, 5-1)
- Series History: Rome leads 9-0
- Last meeting: Rome defeated Hiram 56-0 on October 19, 2018
- The Hiram Hornets, whose only losses came in non-region games to Class 6A ranked Harrison and South Paulding, maintained a share of first place in Region 7-AAAAA with a 42-3 win over Villa Rica. The Rome Wolves celebrated homecoming by scoring three times in a span of 30 seconds on their way to a 51-14 victory over Paulding County. A Rome win places the Wolves in prime position to earn a first-round home game in the state playoffs, while Hiram still must play Kell and Carrollton in the final two weeks of the regular season. Rome wins by 26.
Gordon Central (2-5, 2-2) at Model (3-4, 3-1)
- Series History: Gordon Central leads 8-5
- Last Meeting: Gordon Central defeated Model 36-26 on October 19, 2018
- The Gordon Central Warriors, who started the season with five straight losses, defeated Armuchee 41-7 to even their Region 7-AA record at 2-2. The Model Blue Devils pulled off perhaps the biggest surprise of the night in northwest Georgia in defeating Chattooga 12-6 to move into third place in Region 7-AA. Model wins by 2.
Coosa (1-6, 1-3) at Class 2A Number 1 Rockmart (7-0, 4-0)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 35-13-1
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Coosa 42-0 on October 19, 2018
- The Coosa Eagles, who saw their winless streak broken in their last game with a win over Armuchee, lost 33-14 to previously winless Dade County. The Rockmart Yellow Jackets broke open a game that had been tied at halftime to defeat Pepperell 34-17 and take firm control of first place in Region 7-AA. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Chattooga (3-4, 2-2) at Armuchee (0-7, 0-4)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 14-7
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Armuchee 40-14 on October 19, 2018
- The Chattooga Indians fell to fourth place in Region 7-AA following a 12-6 upset loss to Model. The Armuchee Indians still are winless in 2019 after a 41-7 loss to Gordon Central. Chattooga wins by more than 30.
Pepperell (5-2, 3-1) at Dade County (1-6, 1-3)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 11-2
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Dade County 51-7 on October 19, 2018
- The Pepperell Dragons played a tremendous first half in an evenly matched game before Number 1 ranked Rockmart defeated the Dragons 34-17. The Dade County Wolverines, who entered Friday night with 10 straight losses, defeated Coosa 33-14. Pepperell wins by more than 30.
King’s Way Christian (5-1) at Unity Christian School(9-0)
- Series History: First Meeting
- The King’s Way Crusaders, whose only loss came to Praise Academy, defeated Peoples Baptist Academy 62-44 to go 5-1 for the season. The UCS Lions put together another dominating showing in a 44-6 win over Horizon Christian to keep their unbeaten record and clinch the Region 1-AA championship. This was the first region football championship in history for UCS, who earned a first-round bye into the November 8 semifinals of the Georgia Association of Private & Parochial Schools Class AA state playoffs. Unity Christian wins by more than 30.
Chapel Hill (4-3, 1-2) at Class 4A Number 2 Cartersville (8-0, 4-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 5-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Chapel Hill 51-0 on October 19, 2018
- The Chapel Hill Panthers kept their playoff hopes alive by defeating Central of Carrollton 35-27. The undefeated Cartersville Purple Hurricanes jumped out to a surprising four touchdown lead over previously unbeaten Sandy Creek before holding off a fourth quarter comeback attempt and defeat the Fighting Patriots 52-42. Cartersville wins by 24.
Troup (5-2, 2-1) at Cedartown (3-4, 2-1)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 4-3
- Last Meeting: Troup defeated Cedartown 20-13 on October 19, 2018
- The Troup Tigers, who were on the short end of a big loss to Sandy Creek in their last game, rebounded with a 21-6 win Friday night over LaGrange. The Cedartown Bulldogs recorded an important 28-21 win over Central of Carrollton two weeks ago before being off Friday night. Troup wins by 3.
Class 5A Number 10 Kell (5-2, 3-2) at Cass (3-5, 2-4)
- Series History: Kell leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Kell defeated Cass 63-3 on October 19, 2018
- The Kell Longhorns put up their worst offensive and defensive number of the season in a 34-14 loss to unbeaten and Number 2 ranked Carrollton. The Cass Colonels lost for the fourth straight time in a 42-7 defeat by previously winless East Paulding. Kell wins by more than 30.
Villa Rica (1-6, 0-5) at Woodland (1-6, 0-5)
- Series History: Villa Rica leads 6-1
- Last Meeting: Villa Rica defeated Woodland 36-8 on October 19, 2018
- The Villa Rica Wildcats, whose only win came in their season opener over Campbell, fell to Hiram 42-9. The Woodland Wildcats, who have lost six straight since a season opening win over Southeast Whitfield, were off Friday night following a 47-0 shutout by Carrollton. Villa Rica wins by 9.
Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (3-4, 3-2) at Sonoraville (4-3, 3-2)
- Series History: Sonoraville leads 6-3
- Last Meeting: L-FO defeated Sonoraville 33-14 on October 19, 2018
- The L-FO Warriors ended a two-game losing streak by defeating Coahulla Creek 29-10. The Sonoraville Phoenix defeated Adairsville 28-7 in a game that was not as close as expected to move closer to earning a playoff berth. Sonoraville wins by 8.
Coahulla Creek (1-6, 0-5) at Calhoun (6-1, 4-1)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 5-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Coahulla Creek 56-13 on October 19, 2018
- The Coahulla Creek Colts, whose only victory came over non-region opponent Southeast Whitfield, remained winless in Region 6-AAA after a 29-10 loss to Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe. The Calhoun Yellow Jackets held Murray County scoreless in a 35-0 win. A win by Calhoun will set up a November 1 showdown at once-beaten Haralson County for second place in the region. Calhoun wins by more than 30.
Adairsville (3-5, 2-4) at Murray County (4-4, 2-4)
- Series Effort: Adairsville leads 7-3-1
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Murray County 34-6 on October 19, 2018
- The Adairsville Tigers fell into a tie for sixth place in Region 6-AAA following a 28-7 loss to Adairsville. The Murray County Indians are the other team locked in that tie after a shutout 25-0 loss to Calhoun. Adairsville wins by 12.
Off this week: Trion (5-3, 2-3 after a 38-6 loss to Darlington)
In other games this week involving schools in regions in northwest Georgia:
- Class 7A Number 6 Hillgrove (6-1, 1-1) over North Paulding (5-2, 0-2) by 14
- Class 6A Number 10 Mays (6-1, 5-0) over Class 6A Number 9 South Paulding (6-1, 5-0) by 12
- East Paulding (1-6, 1-5) over Paulding County (3-4, 2-3) by 3
- Class 4A Number 5 Sandy Creek (6-1, 2-1) over LaGrange (2-5, 0-4) by more than 30
- Northwest Whitfield (5-2, 2-1) over Gilmer (3-4, 1-2) by 25
- Heritage (6-2, 3-1) over Southeast Whitfield (0-7, 0-3) by 24
- Pickens (5-3, 3-1) over Ridgeland (3-4, 2-1) by 4
- Haralson County (6-1, 4-1) over Ringgold (0-7, 0-5) by 8
- Bremen (4-3, 2-1) over Lamar County (6-1, 2-1) by 22
- Class 2A Number 2 Callaway (7-1, 4-0) over Heard County (3-4, 3-0) by 12
- Temple (4-4, 1-3) over Spencer (2-5, 0-3) by 4
- Class A Private Number 8 Christian Heritage (6-1, 3-1) over Class A Private Number 9 North Cobb Christian (6-1, 3-1) by 5
- Class A Private Number 5 Fellowship Christian (7-0, 5-0) over Mt. Pisgah Christian (2-5, 2-3) by more than 30
- Mt. Zion (1-7, 0-5) over Gordon Lee (2-5, 0-4) by 9
- Pinecrest Academy (0-7, 0-5) over King’s Ridge Christian (1-6, 0-5) by 13
- Mt. Paran Christian (3-3, 2-3) over St. Francis (4-3, 3-2) by 5
- Whitefield Academy (6-1, 5-0) over Walker (4-3, 3-2) by 23