Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
The YMCA Arsenal Rome Select soccer teams posted a 5-4 record this weekend but kept a strong 31-23-2 record for the season.
- The G’07 C-West beat Cobb Strikers Blue 5-0 on Saturday then lost Sunday in Hampton to 3rd place Atlanta Fire United South 2-1. They remain in 1st place with their 4-1-1 record. They host 2nd place GA Storm Elite next week.
- The B’07 III-North lost to 1st place Atlanta’s Striker Blue 4-1. They are at SSA Northside next week.
- The B’06 II-Black beat 5th place UFA Black 2-1 with goals from Nehemias Morales and Grayson Perry (assist Alexis Valencia). Their 5-0-2 record puts them in 1st place. They host Concorde Fire next weekend.
- The B’05 earned a 4-2 win against Chiefs FC at home last Saturday. In the first half, Joshua Hernandez scored on a tightly angled strike that crossed the net in front of the keeper and then cut just inside the far post. Yejezkel Parada provided the assist. Goalkeeper Will Payne had 4 saves in the first half. In the second half, Maddox Pyle earned a defensive save. Pyle was later fouled in the box, and Steven Villatoro scored on the PK to tie the game at 2 all. Villatoro scored on a breakaway to put Arsenal up 3-2. Parada patiently waited as the Chiefs goalkeeper rushed out of the net, and then put the ball past him for the final goal. Goalkeeper Jason Cux had 4 saves in the second half. The team will return to action with 3 games against South Georgia teams on the weekend of October 19-20.
- The B’04 II-West lost to 2nd place AFC Lightning Red 2-1.
- The B’02 II lost to TRAC Covered Bridge 1-0 in Euharlee.
- The B’01 I-B beat GA Rush 2-0 in Milton last weekend. This weekend they beat UFA Norcross Red 4-2. Their 5-1 record puts them in 3rd place. They travel to 5th place NASA Milton next Saturday.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Friday’s big games include Rockmart-Pepperell; Cartersville-Sandy Creek; Chattooga-Model. Unity plays Saturday. McClellan
- Georgia Public Broadcasting to televise Friday’s Cartersville-Sandy Creek game beginning at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
The schedule (Friday and Saturday)
- Pepperell (5-1, 3-0) at Rockmart (6-0, 3-0)
- Chattooga (3-3, 2-1) at Model (2-4, 2-1)
- Darlington (6-0, 3-0) at Trion (5-2, 2-2)
- Paulding County at Rome
- Armuchee (0-6, 0-3) at Gordon Central (1-5, 1-2)
- Dade County (0-6, 0-3) at Coosa (1-5, 1-2)
- Sandy Creek (6-0, 2-0) at Cartersville (7-0, 3-0)
- Sonoraville (3-3, 2-2) at Adairsville (3-4, 2-3)
- Cass (3-4, 2-3) at East Paulding (0-6, 0-4)
- Calhoun (5-1, 3-1) at Murray County (4-3, 2-3)
- SATURDAY: Unity Christian School (8-0, 2-0) at Horizon Christian Academy (6-1, 1-1)
- Off this week:Cedartown and Woodland
LOCAL. STATE COLLEGE FOOTBALL
- Berry Vikings: At Birmingham-Southern, 7 p.m., Saturday. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks. At home vs. North Greenville for homecoming on Saturday, 1 p.m. at Barron Stadium. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Next: At Miami on Saturday, TBA. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs. Next: At home vs. Kentucky, Saturday, TBA. Bulldogs
HIGH SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL
Class A/AA-Public First Round (Saturday) / brackets
A8 #3 Lake Oconee at A6 #2 Pepperell
A7 #4 Gordon Central at A5 #1 Elite Scholars
A6 #3 Model at A8 #2 Union County
A6 #4 Armuchee at A8 #1 Rabun County
A8 #4 Oglethorpe County at A6 #1 Coosa
A7 #3 Chattooga at A5 #2 Drew Charter
In 4A: R7 #3 White County at R5 #2 Cartersville
In 3A: A5 #4 Adairsville at A7 #1 North Hall; A7 #3 Cherokee Bluff at A5 #2 Sonoraville; A7 #4 Lumpkin County at A5 #1 Calhoun
The Floyd County Swim Team is ready for another great season. The competition swim season will run from Oct. 21 until Feb. 8. If you are interested in trying out for the team, please sign up in your high school’s main office by Thursday, Oct. 17. In addition to a physical and inusrance form, you must be prepared to swim at least 200 meters (8 lengths of the pool) for tryouts and will be asked to use all four swim strokes – freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly. This requires endurance, so start practicing as soon as possible if you are not already swimming on a somewhat regular basis. Tryouts will be held from 6 until 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 21. Practices will start the next day and will also be from 6 until 7:30 p.m. Tryouts and practices will be at Darlington’s Huffman Center. Contact Coach Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
ATLANTA UNITED: Host the New England Revolution this Saturday at 1 p.m. at MBS as the MLS playoffs open. ATLUTD
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.