Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Friday’s big games include Rockmart-Pepperell; Cartersville-Sandy Creek; Chattooga-Model. Unity plays Saturday. McClellan
- High school rankings: Rome rises to no. 6 in 5A; Rockmart holds no. 1 in 2A. Cartersville remains no. 2 in 4A; Darlington no. 4 in A Private. Rankings
Georgia Public Broadcasting to televise Friday’s Cartersville-Sandy Creek game beginning at 7:30 p.m. “Sandy Creek (6-0) has not been challenged all season. Coach Brett Garvin’s Patriots are coming off a 45-24 win over Chapel Hill. Two weeks ago, they destroyed state-ranked Troup 44-7. Cartersville (6-0) bounced back from a close call two weeks ago – a two-point win over Central Carroll – to blast LaGrange 45-2 on Friday. The Purple Hurricanes, under first-year coach Conor Foster, have won seven consecutive region championships and won back-to-back titles in 2015-16. Cartersville holds a 6-0 lead in the series. The Canes won 7-0 last year at Sandy Creek.”
LOCAL. STATE COLLEGE FOOTBALL
- Rankings: Berry rises to no. 7 in latest D3 rankings; had been no. 8. Rankings
- Berry Vikings: At Birmingham-Southern, 7 p.m., Saturday. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks. At home vs. North Greenville for homecoming on Saturday, 1 p.m. at Barron Stadium. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Next: At Miami on Saturday, TBA. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs. Next: At home vs. Kentucky, Saturday, TBA. Bulldogs
- Colleges: Georgia sinks to no. 10, Clemson drops to no. 3. Alabama holds no. 1 spot.
ATLANTA UNITED: Next up: Playoffs on Oct. 19 at MBS. ATLUTD
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.
The 2019 Willard Nixon Hall of Fame Golf Tournament is set to tee off on Friday, Oct. 25 at Stonebridge Golf Course. The event, which raises money to benefit the John Pinson Outstanding Student Athlete Scholarship Program, is a four-person scramble with check-in starting at 11:30 a.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. The $300 team fee includes lunch, greens fee and carts. Hole sponsorships are still available and mulligans may be purchased the day of the event. For more: Vivian Richmier at email@example.com