Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes and Unity Christian School Lions kept their unbeaten records alive with big wins on Friday night in a relatively light weekend of high school action. The Rome Wolves shut out an opponent for the second week in a row, while the Calhoun Yellow Jackets and Cedartown Bulldogs also recorded solid victories.
The Rockmart Yellow Jackets host the Pepperell Dragons in a game to break the tie for first place in Region 7-AA. The other big showdown of the weekend will take place in Cartersville, where the Purple Hurricanes host the Sandy Creek Patriots in a battle between teams ranked in the Top 4 in Class 4A. The Darlington Tigers seek to extend their unbeaten streak when they travel to Trion, with the Chattooga-Model and Sonoraville-Adairsville games also having major playoff implications.
Pepperell (5-1, 3-0) at Class 2A Number 1 Rockmart (6-0, 3-0)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 20-18-1
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Pepperell 40-10 on October 5, 2018
- The Pepperell Dragons, who were off Friday night, are on a five-game winning streak following a 28-0 shutout of Model. The Rockmart Yellow Jackets, who also were off Friday night, have been dominant on their way to a 6-0 season after a 51-7 win in their last outing over Chattooga. The winner of this game will be solidly in control of first place in Region 7-AA.Rockmart wins by 29.
Chattooga (3-3, 2-1) at Model (2-4, 2-1)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 10-7
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Model 41-8 on October 5, 2018
- The Chattooga Indians, who had entered their last game on a two-week winning streak, lost 51-7 to Rockmart before entering their bye week. The Model Blue Devils, who like the rest of the region were off Friday night, also had won two games in a row before a shutout 28-0 loss to Pepperell. The winner of this game will have the inside track for third place in Region 7-AA. Chattooga wins by 16.
Class A Private Number 4 Darlington (6-0, 3-0) at Trion (5-2, 2-2)
- Series History: Darlington leads 15-3
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Trion 17-14 on October 12, 2018
- The Darlington Tigers, who were off Friday night, maintained their place among the best Class A private school football teams in the state a week ago by knocking off unbeaten Christian Heritage 29-22. The Trion Bulldogs, who entered Friday night with a 5-1 record, found themselves on the short end of a shockingly one-sided 51-7 loss to Christian Heritage.Darlington wins by 21.
Paulding County (3-3, 2-2) at Class 5A Number 6 Rome (5-2, 4-1)
- Series History: Rome leads 11-0
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Paulding County 68-7 on October 12, 2018
- The Paulding County Patriots, who were off Friday night, fell to 3-3 overall and 2-2 in region play a week ago after a 41-16 loss to Kell. The Rome Wolves were dominant all night as they recorded their second straight shootout with a 45-0 win over East Paulding. This is Homecoming week for the Wolves. Rome wins by more than 30.
Armuchee (0-6, 0-3) at Gordon Central (1-5, 1-2)
- Series History: Tied 3-3-1
- Last Meeting: Gordon Central 36-7 on October 5, 2018
- The Armuchee Indians put up their biggest offensive numbers of the season in their last game before losing 41-20 to Chattooga. The Gordon Central Warriors ended a seven-game losing streak that began with the ninth game of the 2018 season in a dominating 48-7 victory over Dade County. Gordon Central wins by 16.
Dade County (0-6, 0-3) at Coosa (1-5, 1-2)
- Series History: Coosa leads 18-7
- Last Meeting: Coosa defeated Dade County 55-28 on October 5, 2018
- The Dade County Wolverines, whose last win came in the sixth game of the 2018 season, are 0-6 following a 48-7 loss to Gordon Central in their last game. The Coosa Eagles overcame a start of 0-5 in their last game prior to Fall Break by beating Armuchee 41-20.Coosa wins by 20.
Unity Christian School (8-0, 2-0) at Horizon Christian Academy (6-1, 1-1) (Saturday)
- Series History: UCS leads 4-1
- Last Meeting: UCS defeated Horizon Christian 52-17 on September 7, 2018
- The UCS Lions maintained their perfect record with another dominating win, this time a 46-6 defeat on the road over Harvester Christian Academy. The Horizon Christian Academy Warriors, who were off Friday night, lost to Rock Springs Christian Academy 41-21 in their last game. A win by UCS will clinch first place in Region 2-AA and insure the Lions of a bye in the first round of the Georgia Association of Private & Parochial Schools Class AA8-man state playoffs. Unity Christian wins by 21.
Sandy Creek (6-0, 2-0) at Class 4A Number 2 Cartersville (7-0, 3-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 6-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Sandy Creek 7-0 on October 5, 2018
- This may be the biggest game in the state this week as these two powerhouses face off for supremacy in Region 5-AAAA. The Sandy Creek Fighting Patriots, who lost only once in the regular season in winning three state championships between 2008 and 2013, remained perfect Friday night with a 45-24 win over Chapel Hill. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes, who have the state’s longest regular season winning streak in any classification, rebounded from a close win over Central of Carrollton for a 35-2 win over LaGrange.Sandy Creek wins by 1.
Sonoraville (3-3, 2-2) at Adairsville (3-4, 2-3)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 10-3
- Last Meeting: Sonoraville defeated Adairsville 14-10 on October 12, 2018
- The Sonoraville Phoenix fell to 2-2 in Region 6-AAA and saw their two-game winning streak end following a 32-20 loss to undefeated Haralson County. The Adairsville Tigers lost for the third time in four outings with a 39-14 defeat at Calhoun. The winner of this game holds the inside track for a state playoff berth. Sonoraville wins by 3.
Cass (3-4, 2-3) at East Paulding (0-6, 0-4)
- Series History: East Paulding leads 4-3
- Last Meeting: East Paulding defeated Cass 33-21 on October 12, 2018
- The Cass Colonels were unable to generate any offense as they lost for the third straight week in a 31-0 defeat by Hiram. The East Paulding Raiders, who are 0-6 for the first time since 2003, remained winless following a 45-0 loss to Rome.East Paulding wins by 6.
Calhoun (5-1, 3-1) at Murray County (4-3, 2-3)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 24-9-2
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Murray County 56-0 on October 12, 2018
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets continued to shake off the unexpected loss two weeks ago to North Murray as they defeated Adairsville 39-14. The Murray County Indians, who were winless in 2018, are 4-3 for the year after narrowly defeating Ringgold 17-16.Calhoun wins by more than 30.
OFF THIS WEEK—Cedartown (3-4 after defeating Central of Carrollton 28-21) and Woodland (1-6 after losing to Carrollton 47-0)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- North Cobb (5-1, 1-0) over North Paulding (5-1, 0-1) by 10
- Class 6A Number 9 South Paulding (5-1, 4-0) over New Manchester (1-6, 0-5) by 19
- Class 6A Number 8 Dalton (6-1, 4-1) over Sprayberry (3-3, 2-2) by 20
- Class 5A Number 2 Carrollton (7-0, 5-0) over Class 5A Number 7 Kell (5-1, 3-1) by 1
- Hiram (4-2, 4-0) over Villa Rica (1-5, 0-4) by 9
- Chapel Hill (3-3, 0-2) over Central of Carrollton (3-4, 1-2) by 7
- Troup (4-2, 1-1) over LaGrange (2-4, 0-3) by 28
- Heritage (5-2, 2-1) over Gilmer (3-3, 1-1) by 29
- Ridgeland (2-4, 1-1) over LaFayette (3-4, 1-2) by 16
- Northwest Whitfield (5-1, 2-0) over Pickens (4-3, 2-1) by 1
- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (2-4, 2-2) over Coahulla Creek (1-5, 0-4) by 24
- North Murray (6-1, 5-0) over Haralson County (6-0, 4-0) by 9
- Bremen (3-3, 1-1) over Temple (4-3, 1-2) by 19
- Heard County (2-4, 2-0) over Jordan (0-7, 0-3) by more than 30
- Class A Private Number 10 Christian Heritage (5-1, 2-1) over Class A Public Number 4 Bowdon (6-0, 3-0) by 11
- Class A Private Number 5 Fellowship Christian (6-0, 4-0) over King’s Ridge Christian (1-5, 0-4) by more than 30
- Mt. Paran Christian (3-2, 2-2) over Walker (3-3, 2-2) by 22
- Class A Private Number 9 North Cobb Christian (5-1, 2-1) over Mt. Zion (1-6, 0-4) by 8
- St. Francis (3-3, 2-2) over Pinecrest Academy (0-6, 0-4) by 17
- Class 2A Number 3 Callaway (6-1, 3-0) over Spencer (2-4, 0-2) by more than 30 (Saturday)