Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Get the tissues ready before you watch this one. While it at first looks at Charlie Culberson’s arrival with the Atlanta Braves, it really is a father-and-son (and mom) story about Charlie’s youth and high school baseball as well as his rocky road to the majors. This is powerful.
Weekly volleyball rankings from the AJC:
- Coosa remains no. 1 in the 2A/private classification followed by Pepperell at no. 5, Model at no. 7 and Armuchee at no. 8.
- In 3A, Calhoun is no. 4.
- Click here for the entire story.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Darlington-Christian Heritage among state’s tops games this Friday. Rome, Cartersville, Rockmart should coast. McClellan.
Friday night’s schedule:
- Christian Heritage (4-0, 1-0) at Darlington (5-0, 2-0)
- Model (2-3, 2-0) at Pepperell (4-1, 2-0)
- Coosa (0-5, 0-2) at Armuchee (0-5, 0-2)
- Woodland (1-4, 0-3) at Rome (3-2, 2-1)
- Cartersville (5-0, 1-0) at Central of Carrollton (3-2, 1-0)
- Cass (3-2, 2-1) at Carrollton (5-0, 3-0)
- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (2-3, 2-1) at Adairsville (2-3, 1-2)
- Rockmart (4-0, 2-0) at Chattooga (3-2, 2-0)
- Sonoraville (2-2, 1-1) at Ringgold (0-5, 0-3)
- LaGrange (2-2, 0-1) at Cedartown (1-4, 0-1)
- Mt. Zion (1-4, 0-2) at Trion (4-1, 2-0)
- Gordon Central (0-5, 0-2) at Dade County (0-5, 0-2)
- Off this week: Calhoun and Unity Christian School.
LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL
- Atlanta Falcons. At Houston, 1 p.m. Sunday. TV: Fox. Radio: 92.9 The Game. Falcons
ATLANTA BRAVES PLAYOFFS
National League Divisional Series, best of five games. Track playoffs
- Thursday: Saint Louis at Atlanta. 5 p.m. start. On TBS. Left-hander Dallas Keuchel will start.
- Friday: Saint Louis at Atlanta. 4:37 p.m. start
- Sunday: Atlanta at Saint Louis
- Monday: Atlanta at Saint Louis (if necessary)
- Wednesday: Saint Louis at Atlanta (if necessary)
- Atlanta Braves: Latest updates @ Atlanta
Atlanta United hosts New England Revolution Sunday at 4 p.m. at MBS. ATLUTD
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.
Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation to launch the Monday-Wednesday Walking Club on Oct. 7. Every Monday and Wednesday, starting on Monday, Oct. 7, walkers of all ages are encouraged to meet in the main parking lot at Ridge Ferry Park at 11 a.m. Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation has laid out a couple of routes for both new and experienced walkers. The routes are easy with hardly any hills and offer distances from one to three miles. Parks and recreation staff will be on hand to help lead the walks, and we’ll have water for after the walk. For more: rfpra.com/walkingclub.
The 2019 Willard Nixon Hall of Fame Golf Tournament is set to tee off on Friday, Oct. 25 at Stonebridge Golf Course. The event, which raises money to benefit the John Pinson Outstanding Student Athlete Scholarship Program, is a four-person scramble with check-in starting at 11:30 a.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. The $300 team fee includes lunch, greens fee and carts. Hole sponsorships are still available and mulligans may be purchased the day of the event. For more: Vivian Richmier at firstname.lastname@example.org