Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Berry’s Syverson named SAA Special Teams Player of the Week: Berry College’s Matthew Syverson has been named the Southern Athletic Association Football Special Teams Player of the Week. The freshman punter who starred at Model High helped the No. 8 Berry College football team to a 31-14 win over Millsaps College on Saturday. He punted five times for a 40.4-yard average including a long of 62. His 62-yard boot came in the third quarter and was downed at the Majors’ one-yard line. With a long field, the Vikings defense forced a three-and-out on the ensuing drive. The 62-yard punt is the second longest in Berry history. The Vikings now sit at 4-0 overall and 2-0 in the SAA, remaining in first place in the league. The Vikings are back in action this Saturday at Sewanee at 2 p.m.
- The Berry College football team rose to No. 8 in the American Football Coaches Association Top-25, the highest ranking in program history. Berry is also ranked No. 10 in the D3football.com poll.
The YMCA Arsenal Rome Select soccer teams struggled with a 4-4-2 record this weekend but kept a strong 26-19-2 record for the season.
- The G’06 Athena B lost to Inter Atlanta 3-1.
- The 2nd place G’02 tied the 1st place AFC Lightning Gold 1-1 in Fayetteville.
- The B’07 III-North lost to Euharlee’s Covered Bridge 4-3 on Saturday and beat SSA North Gray 5-1 in Armuchee. Klae Theakston is tied for 1st in Scoring with 5 goals.
- The B’06 II-Black tied the Alpharetta Ambush 1-1 Sunday. They remain in 1st place.
- The B’04 II West beat Concorde Fire 5-1 Saturday in Atlanta.
- The B’03 Premier traveled to Columbia, South Carolina. They lost to Clemson Anderson SA 2-1 on Saturday. Emanuel Lom had the lone Arsenal goal. On Sunday they defeated South Carolina United FC 5-0. Edward Soto and Gonzalo Lemus got 2 goals each. Emanuel Lom scored one.
- The B’02 II lost to SSA Gold in Decatur 6-1.
- The B’01 I-B travelled to Atlanta Sunday to beat SSA Chelsea Yellow 4-0.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- John McClellan’s high school picks: Darlington-Christian Heritage among state’s tops games this Friday. Rome, Cartersville, Rockmart should coast. McClellan.
LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL
- Atlanta Falcons. At Houston, 1 p.m. Sunday. TV: Fox. Radio: 92.9 The Game. Falcons
- Thursday: Saint Louis at Atlanta. 5:02 or 6:02 p.m. start (depends on wild card game). On TBS
- Friday: Saint Louis at Atlanta. 4:37 p.m. start
- Sunday: Atlanta at Saint Louis
- Monday: Atlanta at Saint Louis (if necessary)
- Wednesday: Saint Louis at Atlanta (if necessary)
- Atlanta Braves: Latest updates @ Atlanta
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.