The latest on the home ‘flash burn/explosion’ that claimed the life of a Rockmart woman.

The latest on the home ‘flash burn/explosion’ that claimed the life of a Rockmart woman.

From Tony Brazier, Polk County Coroner

THE LATEST

The victim has been identified as Tammie Ann Smith , 60, of Rockmart. The cause of death has been ruled accidental because of smoking with an oxygen device.

And this update from WGAA 1340 AM and 106.1 FM in Cedartown:

Doctors at Grady continued working aggressively with the victim, however, her condition steadily worsened and she was pronounced dead at 5:18 a.m.  from inhalation, burns and thermal injuries to her upper body, said. Brazier.

“This was a very sad, freak accident,” he said.

One of the most dangerous things that anyone on oxygen can do is to light a cigarette or ignite anything in its presence. Not only can it cause flash fires but in certain circumstances it can erupt into an explosion.

Brazier asks that everyone please remember the family in your prayers.

EARLIER

Around 2:56 a.m., E-911 was called to scene of a flash burn/explosion event at a house on Clearwater Street in Rockmart. At this point, a 60-year-old female with a history of breathing/respiratory problems on home oxygen was apparently smoking while on oxygen, causing the explosion. Rockmart Fire, Police and Redmond EMS were all on scene.

The woman was in respiratory failure and Air-Life helicopter was called to scene. She was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. About six minutes out from the hospital, the victim’s condition went from critical to critical/unresponsive and she went into cardiac arrest. Upon landing at the hospital, CPR and resuscitation continued in the Grady Trauma Center but the patient was pronounced dead at 5:18 a.m. at Grady.

Rockmart Police are the lead investigators, along with coroner’s office. The victim’s identity will be released soon.

-By Natalie Simms for Hometown Headlines.

Share Button

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.