Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
There were no real surprises Friday night as the teams picked to win lived up to their expectations and most won by larger margins than predicted. Lightning did result in problems throughout Northwest Georgia as most games started later than their scheduled time with the participating teams in some games agreeing to end their contests at or even before halftime and several teams playing until after midnight to finish their games.
The Class A battle between state ranked Christian Heritage and Darlington will highlight this Friday night’s action as the unseasonably warm fall weather continues in Georgia. Region 7-AA will feature Pepperell hosting Model and Rockmart traveling to Chattooga with Cartersville’s trip to Central of Carrollton and Rome returning home to host Woodland also on this week’s schedule.
Class A Private Number 9 Christian Heritage (4-0, 1-0) at Class A Private Number 4 Darlington (5-0, 2-0)
- Series History: 6-0
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Christian Heritage 24-21 on September 28, 2018
- The Christian Heritage Lions, who were off Friday night, are 4-0 after a 42-0 shutout two weeks ago over Mt. Zion. The Darlington Tigers continued their quest for an unbeaten season in a 38-0 win over the same Mt. Zion team. This is one of top games in the state this week.Darlington wins by 12.
Model (2-3, 2-0) at Pepperell (4-1, 2-0)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 33-20-3
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Model 41-7 on September 28, 2018
- The Model Blue Devils proved that they are a team to be reckoned with in Region 7-AA with a 44-6 homecoming win over Armuchee. The Pepperell Dragons moved a step closer to their highly anticipated October 18 game with Rockmart in a 42-0 win over Coosa that ended at halftime due to a lengthy lightning delay. Pepperell wins by 25.
Coosa (0-5, 0-2) at Armuchee (0-5, 0-2)
- Series History: Coosa leads 35-5
- Last Meeting: Coosa defeated Armuchee 51-29 on September 28, 2018
- The Coosa Eagles ran into a powerful Pepperell Dragons team and fell 42-0 in a game that was cut short at halftime due to lightning. The Armuchee Indians, like Coosa, fell to 0-5 overall and 0-2 in Region 7-AA following a 44-6 loss at Model.Coosa wins by 22.
Woodland (1-4, 0-3) at Class 5A Number 8 Rome (3-2, 2-1)
- Series History: Rome leads 14-3
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Woodland 48-7 on September 28, 2018
- The Woodland Wildcats, who had opened the season with a win over Southeast Whitfield, lost for the fourth straight time in a 57-0 shutout defeat by Hiram. The Rome Wolves combined a relentless defense with a virtually unstoppable rushing attack in a dominating 49-10 win over Cass. Rome wins by more than 30.
Class 4A Number 1 Cartersville (5-0, 1-0) at Central of Carrollton (3-2, 1-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 16-6
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Central 45-10 on September 28, 2018
- The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes held on to the state’s longest regular season winning streak in a 24-2 win over a determined Cedartown team. The Central Lions stayed locked in one of the closest games of the night before a pass interception with a little more than a minute left in the game preserved a 17-14 win over LaGrange.Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Cass (3-2, 2-1) at Class 5A Number 2 Carrollton (5-0, 3-0)
- Series History: Carrollton leads 20-2
- Last Meeting: Carrollton defeated Cass 41-7 on September 28, 2018
- The Cass Colonels, who entered Friday night with a 2-0 record in Region 7-AAAAA play, had trouble moving the football in a 49-10 loss to Rome. The Carrollton Trojans jumped on East Paulding early on their way to a 44-7 win over East Paulding. Carrollton wins by more than 30.
Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe (2-3, 2-1) at Adairsville (2-3, 1-2)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 10-1
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated L-FO 13-12 on September 28, 2018
- The L-FO Warriors fought through three lightning delays in a game that ended at 1:12 a.m. before falling 36-22 to unbeaten Haralson County. The Adairsville Tigers also encountered lightning interruptions before losing 28-0 to North Murray in a game that the teams agreed to end early due to the weather.Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe wins by 1.
Class 2A Number 1 Rockmart (4-0, 2-0) at Chattooga (3-2, 2-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 19-18
- Last Meeting: Rockmart defeated Chattooga 56-0 on September 28, 2018
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets held onto their Number 1 ranking in the state in Class AA after a 48-0 shutout of Dade County. The Chattooga Indians survived a game that ended after midnight due to lightning delays before defeating Gordon Central 14-10. Rockmart wins by more than 30.
Sonoraville (2-2, 1-1) at Ringgold (0-5, 0-3)
- Series History: Ringgold leads 5-3
- Last Meeting: Ringgold defeated Sonoraville 28-7 on September 28, 2018
- The Sonoraville Phoenix were one of the many teams that faced lightning issues Friday night before a dominating 34-3 win over Murray County. The Ringgold Tigers dropped to 0-5 following a 48-3 loss to Calhoun. Sonoraville wins by 7.
LaGrange (2-2, 0-1) at Cedartown (1-4, 0-1)
- Series History: Tied 5-5
- Last Meeting: Cedartown defeated LaGrange 9-6 on September 28, 2018
- The LaGrange Grangers took an early lead in a hard-fought game before dropping a 17-14 decision to Central of Carrollton. The Cedartown Bulldogs put up a determined effort all night before coming up short in a 24-2 loss to Number 1 ranked Cartersville. Cedartown wins by 16.
Mt. Zion (1-4, 0-2) at Trion (4-1, 2-0)
- Series History: Trion leads 10-6
- Last Meeting: Mt. Zion defeated Trion 28-0 on September 28, 2018
- The Mt. Zion Eagles, whose only win came with a last second touchdown over Coosa, were shut out for the second straight week in a 38-0 loss to Darlington. The Trion Bulldogs were among several northwest Georgia teams who had to play late at night due to lightning delays in a 21-7 win over Gordon Lee.Trion wins by 10.
Gordon Central (0-5, 0-2) at Dade County (0-5, 0-2)
- Series History: Dade County leads 7-4
- Last Meeting: Dade County defeated Gordon Central 13-12 on September 28, 2018
- The Gordon Central Warriors lost another close game in a 14-10 defeat by Chattooga in a game that spanned five hours due to a series of weather delays. The Dade County Wolverines saw their record fall to 0-5 following a 48-0 shutout loss to Rockmart. Gordon Central wins by 6.
Off this week: Calhoun (4-1 after defeating Ringgold 48-3) and Unity Christian School (7-0 after Nathaniel Greene Academy forfeited its game to UCS because of injuries)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- North Paulding (4-0) over Campbell (0-4) by 28
- Class 6A Number 8 Dalton (4-1, 2-1) over River Ridge (2-3, 1-2) by more than 30
- Hiram (2-2, 2-0) over East Paulding (0-4, 0-2) by 1
- Class 5A Number 10 Kell (3-1, 1-1) over Paulding County (3-2, 2-1) by more than 30
- Class 4A Number 5 Sandy Creek (4-0, 0-0) over Class 4A Number 9 Troup (4-1, 1-0) by 5
- Heritage (3-2, 0-1) over LaFayette (3-2, 1-0) by 20
- Ridgeland (1-3, 1-0) over Northwest Whitfield (3-1, 0-0) by 10
- Pickens (3-2, 1-0) over Southeast Whitfield (0-5, 0-1) by more than 30
- Haralson County (4-0, 2-0) over Coahulla Creek (1-3, 0-2) by more than 30
- North Murray (4-1, 3-0) over Murray County (3-2, 1-2) by more than 30
- Class 2A Number 3 Callaway (4-1, 1-0) over Bremen (2-2, 0-0) by 17
- Temple (3-2, 0-1) over Jordan (0-5, 0-1) by 20
- Class A Public Number 4 Bowdon (4-0, 1-0) over Gordon Lee (2-3, 0-2) by 20
- Whitefield Academy (4-1, 3-0) over King’s Ridge Christian (1-3, 0-2) by 30
- Mt. Paran Christian (2-1, 1-1) over Mt. Pisgah Christian (1-4, 1-2) by 25
- Mt. de Sales (4-0) over Pinecrest Academy (0-4) by more than 30
- St. Francis (2-2, 1-1) over Walker (2-2, 1-1) by 16