Rome murder suspect surrenders at Floyd County Jail.
Developing: Chemical fire in Calhoun closes city schools today. At least one employee at DHM reported injured; others OK.
Vote now for Charlie ‘Clutch’ Culberson as baseball’s Roberto Clemente winner.
- Floyd Schools aware of ‘CHS’ threat on social media; says it isn’t about Coosa. Normal classes Friday with extra security as a precaution. Safety
- Business: IDI/Northwest Business Center plans 637,000 square feet of industrial space in Bartow. Fourth major project announced there this year. Business
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Record high of 99 in Rome Thursday, 100 in Cartersville. Hang on for one more day; normal temperatures return over the weekend. Plus: We’re on tropics watch again. Weather
- Homelessness Task Force finds agreement on Rome’s proposed urban camping ordinance; next meeting Sept. 26. Thursday gathering started with city officials on the defensive. Homeless
- Look for veterans from the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam, in Rome for reunion, to ride along Broad Street at 1:50 p.m. Friday. Please see our background story. Heroes welcome
- Floyd County designated as a High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area — which means the community should receive resources for battling drugs. Drug trafficking
- GBI: Gun battle erupts at scene of domestic violence complaint; woman dies, suspect wounded by Gordon sheriff’s deputy. Home page
- Weekend! presented by The Forum River Center: Two fairs, one fall carnival this weekend. Also: Mama Mia, Roman Rumble, Pool Party. Weekend
- Cedartown bicyclist, 38, dies in Wednesday night accident. Fatality
- Newscast: Today’s audio headlines and rant of the day. Newscast
- Buzz: A few tickets remain for ‘One Table 2019.’ Fiestas Patrias is Sunday in Ridge Ferry Park. Redmond’s Crush the Crisis collect 210 pounds of unwanted drugs. Honors for Darlington’s King. Buzz
- Obituaries: Ms. Averia Bynum, Kelly Marie Hornbeck,Sharon Mease Murdock, Mr. Danny Neal, William Donald Traylor, Ms. Barbara Jean Walden, Mrs. Dorothy W. Ward. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores. Dining
- Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on area arrests, police reports from across Northwest Georgia. Crimewatch
- NEW: Subscribe to our free local deal alert: Discounts, BOGOs and other deals from local businesses (we don’t share your information). Text 313131 with Hometowndeal in the message field.
- Subscribe to our free newscast/podcast text alerts. Text 313131; in the message field, type HHpodcasts.
- Subscribe to our news alerts (critical updates only). Text 313131; in the message field, type HometownRome. Brought to you by Heritage First Bank.
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report: Sports
- Berry College Vikings will host LaGrange on Saturday at 6 p.m. in the team’s home opener. Viking Fusion to provide live broadcast of Saturday’s football game at vikingfusion.com.
- Shorter Hawks will host University of West Florida on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Barron Stadium.
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets host The Citadel at 12:30 p.m. Saturday. TV: ACC Network.
- Georgia Bulldogs host Arkansas St. at 12 p.m., Saturday. TV: ESPN 2. Radio: WSB 95.5 FM. Bulldogs
Atlanta Falcons vs. the Eagles, 8:20 p.m. Sunday on NBC.