Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
The YMCA Arsenal Rome Select soccer teams opened the season this weekend with an 8-5-2 record.
The Girls 2007 (birthdays, Under 13) jumped into first place of the Athena C-West division. They got a 1-1 tie on Saturday with Warner Robin’s Legion FC thanks to a goal from Andrea Valerio Martinez. Then they got a big 3-0 win on Sunday over Fayetteville’s AFC Lightning. Emily Cooper got the hat trick. They next play in Emerson next Saturday.
- The G’04 Athena B beat Lilburn’s GSA South Red 8-0. Malone Christen started the scoring in the 5th minute when she finished a strong goal off an assist from Irelyn Stone. Jasmine Rodriguez upped the score to 2-0 with the assist from Carlee Brock, and Olivia Beach scored off an assist from Alexis Medrano to stake Arsenal to a 3-0 halftime lead. Beach started the 2nd half with a quick goal in the 44th minute off another assist from Medrano, and Joey Kunczewski scored unassisted to boost the lead to 5-0 in the 48th minute. Isabelle Phillips scored on a nice assist from Kunczewski in the 51st minute, while Christen slammed her 2nd goal of the game home off an assist from Isabella Galysh. Stone finished the scoring for Arsenal with a nice shot late in the game. Sophie Gaither recorded five saves in goal for the shutout. They next play in Carrollton Sunday.
- The G’04 Athena C took the points from Griffin’s AFC Lightning on Saturday then lost to Tophat White 4-2. Arsenal twice managed to tie the game, the first coming in the 37th minute when Emily Bartleson scored off an assist from Ireyln Stone to knot the action at 1. The second came in the early moment of the 2nd half when Azae Tutt scored on a beautiful cross-goal shot on an assist from Emily Bartleson. Ryli Howe recorded seven saves in goal. They next play in Atlanta Sunday.
- The G’02 beat Roswell Santos Blue 3-1 on Saturday and drew 0-0 with Lilburn’s Bryson Park Sunday. They play at home next on Sunday with Canton’s GA Impact.The B’07 Classic III-North lost to Mays Striker Blue 4-3 in Atlanta on Saturday. Sunday they beat SSA Northside Yellow 3-0. Michael Aldana got 3 goals, Klae Theakston 2, and Ezekiel Donner 1. They play SSA Black in Dallas next Sunday.
- The B’06 II-Black had a great Labor Day weekend at the Publix Atlanta Cup. They won the Centennial division with a 4-0 record. Saturday they beat SSA Central Black 8-0 with goals from Grayson Perry (2), Mateo Trujillo (2), Nehemias Morales (4 assists), Alexis Valencia (2 and 2 assists), and David Monroy. They then beat Tucker’s TYSA Triumph 8-0 with goals from Gabe DeHart-Corner (4), Trujillo (2 assists), Valencia (2 and 2 assists), and Joshua Girgis.
- On Sunday they beat Kennesaw’s KCSC Scouts 5-0 with goals from Trujillo (2), Valencia (2 assists), Girgis, and Monroy. That put them in an afternoon championship rematch with KCSC where they won 4-0 with 2 goals from Trujillo (assist DeHart, Grimaldo), Perry (assist DeHart), and Monroy (assist Valencia).
- This Saturday they beat Hampton’s Atlanta Fire United South 3-1 with a goal from Perry (assist Grimaldo) and 2 from Trujillo (assists Morales, DeHart-Corner). Next weekend they travel to NASA and host Smryna.
- The B’05 I lost to Athens United Gold 3-1 with the goal from Steven Villatoro. They host Atlanta Fire and GA Express next weekend.
- The B’04 II West lost to MAYS Striker Blue 3-2 with goals from Giovanni Orellana and Henoch Sebuh. Next weekend they host the Alpharetta Ambush and visit the Decatur Wolves.
- The B’03 II lost to Effingham United 3-2 on Saturday in Guyton with goals from Cooper Robinson and Estras Reynoso and then beat Carrollton’s GA Storm Silver 4-1 Sunday. They play next Saturday at Lawrenceville’s UFA then host Bryson Park’s Legends on Sunday.
- The B’01 I-B beat Sugar Hill’s All In FC 2-0 with goals from Coosa’s Jorge Lopez. They are off next week.
- The YMCA Arsenal Rome Academy teams hosted Villa Rica’s GA Storm Saturday in a rematch from last season’s last game where they struggled to a 1-6-2 record. This weekend they went 5-4-3.
- The B’11 tied GA Storm Gold 3-3 and beat Silver 7-3.
- The B’10 lost to GA Storm Gold 5-0, tied Silver 3-3, and beat Bronze 7-6.
- The B’09 lost to GA Storm Gold 4-1 and tied Silver 3-3.
- The B’08 lost to GA Storm Silver 6-1.
- The G’11 beat GA Storm 7-2.
- The G’10 beat GA Storm 5-2.
- The G’09 beat GA Storm 10-0.
- The G’08 lost to GA Storm Gold 4-0.
- Compiled by Roy Dickinson
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- Atlanta Falcons. Next: Atlanta’s home opener vs. the Eagles, 8:20 p.m. Sunday. Falcons
Beier earns SAA Volleyball defensive player of the week. Helping the No. 9 Berry College volleyball team to a 3-1 record at the Berry Volleyball National Invitational, sophomore Laura Beier earned Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week honors, the league office announced on Monday.
Beier led the Vikings to wins over No. 20 UMHB, No. 14 Christopher Newport and a strong Endicott team. Berry’s only loss came in a five-set thriller against the reigning national champion and No. 1-ranked Emory Eagles.
The Vikings libero set a program-record with 37 digs in a five-set match against UMHB, then followed with 20 against CNU. She then posted 27 digs against Emory, as the Vikings nearly pulled off an incredible reverse-sweep.
Berry travels to the Wittenberg Fall Classic this weekend where they will face Heidelberg, No. 8 Wittenberg and Ohio Northern. The team returns home on Sept. 18th to open SAA play against Oglethorpe.
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. 2020
- The South Atlantic League’s All-Star game returns to Rome June 23. All-Star
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.
- Atlanta Braves: Latest updates @ Atlanta
Saturday: The Roman Rumble 5K Ulti-MUTT Health-Walk returns to Ridge Ferry Park at 8 a.m. Saturday. One of the longest-running 5K events in Rome, the event takes place at Ridge Ferry Park, utilizing a paved path along the scenic Oostanaula River. It will include vendors, food trucks, inflatables, doggie costume contest, and most importantly lots of dogs! This event benefits Harbor House, to provide free of charge in-house counseling for child victims of abuse, to implement prevention safety programs in local schools, to provide a child-friendly environment, and to also help us continue our day to day operations. Details
- Rome Floyd Parks & Recreation starting Adult Men’s Flag Football League: Fresh off the success of the Men’s Summer Basketball League, Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation would like to announce registration is about to open for our brand new Men’s Flag Football League. Registration is open and runs through Tuesday, Sept. 24. Players need to be 18 and older and out of high school. Cost is $500 per team. Those wishing to play but not yet on a team can sign up as an individual player for $60. Teams will consist of seven to 16 players with the season beginning in October. For more information, please contact Jay Houston via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rome-Floyd Parks and Rec’s Fall Guide. Parks and Rec has posted the early Fall Guide online.