Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes moved into the Number 1 ranking in Class 4A after previously top ranked and defending state champion Blessed Trinity lost Friday night to Number 4 ranked Woodward Academy. Rockmart held on to the Number 1 slot in Class 2A despite not playing this weekend with Calhoun maintaining the Number 3 ranking in Class 3A, Darlington moving up a notch to Number 3 among Class A Private Schools, Trion climbing from Number 10 to Number 9 in the Class A Public School rankings, and Rome dropping one place to Number 7 in Class 5A.
Regions 7-AAAAA and 6-AAA start region play this week as teams start competing for playoff spots. The state ranked showdown between Rome and Kell highlights play in Region 7-AAAAA, along with the battle between Bartow County rivals Cass and Woodland. Region 6-AAA features the showdown between Calhoun and Sonoraville, while Adairsville travels to Coahulla Creek. Other key games include a rematch of last year’s Class 2A state championship game between Rockmart and Heard County, a game between traditional rivals Armuchee and Trion, Pepperell’s showdown with unbeaten Heritage, and Unity Christian going for its fifth win of the season against Praise Christian.
Class 5A Number 10 Kell (2-0, 0-0) at Class 5A Number 7 Rome (1-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Rome leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated Kell 35-6 on September 7, 2018
- The Kell Longhorns upped their record to 2-0 with a 27-0 shutout win over traditional rival Lassiter, whose 11-game losing streak started with the third game of the 2018 season. The Rome Wolves rebounded from their season opening loss to Class 7A Number 1 Marietta with a dominating 63-6 win over North Clayton. This is the premiere matchup of the first Friday night of league play in Region 7-AAAAA. Rome wins by 15.
Armuchee (0-2) at Class A Public Number 9 Trion (2-0)
- Series History: Trion leads 32-13-2
- Last Meeting: Trion defeated Armuchee 48-13 on September 7, 2018
- The Armuchee Indians were unable to get on the scoreboard in their home opener, a 59-0 loss to 2018 Class 3A playoff team Haralson County. The Trion Bulldogs, who moved into the Class A Public School rankings last week, are 2-0 after defeating Dade County 27-6. Both teams begin region play next week in their respective classifications. Trion wins by 29.
Heritage (3-0) at Pepperell (1-1)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Pepperell defeated Heritage 31-17 on September 7, 2018
- The Heritage Generals are off to a start of 3-0 following a 35-20 win over a Chattooga team that is off to a disappointing 1-2 start. The Pepperell Dragons, coming off an open date, showed they are a force to be reckoned with by defeating Class 4A Pickens 24-20. Region 7-AA play awaits next week for Pepperell.Pepperell wins by 3.
Unity Christian School (4-0) at Praise Academy (2-1)
- Series History: Praise leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Praise defeated UCS 58-26 on September 28, 2018
- The UCS Lions won the battle of the unbeatens and continued their early season dominance in the Georgia Association of Private & Parochial Schools in a 58-20 victory over a New Creation Christian Academy that had scored 88 points in its last game. Praise Academy survived a shootout in a 55-54 win over Peachtree Academy to go 2-1 for the year. Unity Christian wins by more than 30.
McNair (0-2) at Class 4A Number 1 Cartersville (2-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 2-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated McNair 70-0 on September 7, 2018
- The McNair Mustangs are 0-2 following losses of 33-21 to Towers and 44-0 to Redan. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes were dominant Friday night in a 47-0 shutout of Luella. Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Cass (1-1, 0-0) at Woodland (1-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Cass leads 9-6
- Last Meeting: Woodland defeated Cass 17-7 on September 7, 2018
- The Cass Colonels, who had started the season a week ago with a disappointing loss to Adairsville, pulled off perhaps the biggest upset of the night in northwest Georgia by defeating Forsyth Central 15-7. The Woodland Wildcats were on the disappointed side of things in a 34-28 loss at East Hall.Cass wins by 3.
Adairsville (1-1, 0-0) at Coahulla Creek (1-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Adairsville leads 5-0
- Last Meeting: Adairsville defeated Coahulla Creek 41-10 on September 7, 2018
- The Adairsville Tigers were off Friday night after defeating nearby county rival Cass 14-7 two weeks ago. The Coahulla Creek Colts, who have never won more than two games in the seven-year history of the school, edged Southeast Whitfield 34-31. Adairsville wins by 18.
Cedartown (0-2) at Bremen (0-2)
- Series History: Cedartown leads 7-3-1
- Last Meeting: Bremen defeated Cedartown 13-9 on September 7, 2018
- Both of these teams remain winless in 2019 after coming off open dates this past Friday. The Cedartown Bulldogs lost 27-20 to Alexander in their last outing. The Bremen Blue Devils lost the battle for the Sewell Trophy two weeks ago 27-20 to a Bowdon team it had dominated during the past two seasons. Cedartown wins by 7.
Class 2A Number 1 Rockmart (2-0) at Heard County (0-2)
- Series History: Rockmart leads 2-1
- Last Meeting: Heard County defeated Rockmart 27-6 on December 12, 2018 in the Class 2A state championship game.
- The Rockmart Yellow Jackets were off Friday night after defeating Class 4A Central of Carrollton 51-14 a week ago. The defending Class 2A state champion Heard County Braves have yet to taste victory in two games in 2019 following a 61-7 loss to Class Number 2 Hapeville Charter. This is a rematch of the 2018 Class 2A state championship game.Rockmart wins by 14.
Class 3 A Number 3 Calhoun (2-0, 0-0) at Sonoraville (1-1, 0-0)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 11-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Sonoraville 38-0 on September 7, 2018
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets, who were off last Friday night, are 2-0 after shutting out Therrell 30-0. The Sonoraville Phoenix gave up the first 31 points of the game before responding strongly in the second half in a 38-28 loss to Darlington. This is the first Region 6-AAA game for the Yellow Jackets, who last lost a region game in 2001 on their way to 18 consecutive league crowns. Calhoun wins by more than 30.
Off this week: Chattooga (1-2 after losing to Heritage 35-20), Coosa (0-3 after losing to Mt. Zion 22-21), Class A Private Number 3 Darlington (3-0 after defeating Sonoraville 38-28), Gordon Central (0-3 after losing to Gilmer 6-3) and Model (0-3 after losing to North Murray 24-7)
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Class 4A Number 3 Troup (2-0) over Harris County (2-1) by 29 (Thursday)
- Alexander (1-1, 0-0) over South Paulding (1-1, 0-0) by 11
- Class 6A Number 9 Dalton (2-0, 0-0) over Sequoyah (1-1, 0-0) by 10
- Class 5A Number 3 Carrollton (2-0, 0-0) over Villa Rica (1-1, 0-0) by 24
- Hiram (0-2, 0-0) over Paulding County (1-1, 0-0) by 7
- Starr’s Mill (2-0) over Chapel Hill (1-1) by 11
- LaGrange (1-1) over Hampton (1-1) by 3
- Class 4A Number 6 Sandy Creek (2-0) over Ridgeland (0-2) by 20
- Gilmer (1-2) over Lumpkin County (0-3) by 1
- Christian Heritage (2-0) over LaFayette (2-1) by 16
- Northwest Whitfield (1-1) over Stone Mountain (1-2) by 1
- Pickens (1-1) over White County (1-1) by 9
- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe(0-2, 0-0) over Murray County (2-0, 0-0) by 14
- North Murray (1-1, 0-0) over Ringgold (0-2, 0-0) by 3
- Class 2A Number 3 Callaway (1-1) over Cross Keys (0-3) by more than 30
- Mt. Zion (1-1) over Temple (2-0) by 12
- Class A Private Number 7 Fellowship Christian (2-0, 1-0) over Walker (1-1, 0-0) by more than 30
- Class A Public Number 2 Irwin County (2-0) over Mt. Paran Christian (1-0) by 28
- Whitefield Academy (0-2, 0-0) over Mt. Pisgah Christian (0-3, 0-0) by 11
- Class A Private Number 8 North Cobb Christian (2-0) over Monticello (0-2) by 25
- Pinecrest Academy (0-1) over Athens Christian (1-2) by 11
- St. Francis (1-1) over Lakeview Academy (0-1) by 28