Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
LOCAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Shorter University football will return to action on Saturday night. The Hawks (0-0, 0-0 Gulf South) will travel to Johnson City, Tenn., to take on the East Tennessee State University Buccaneers (0-1, 0-0 Southern) at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Shorter will open their home slate with a Gulf South Conference game against the University of West Florida on Saturday, Sept.14. Kickoff is at 3 p.m. at Barron Stadium. Shorter Hawks at East Tennessee State, 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Hawks
Berry College Vikings open the 2019 season at Maryville on Saturday. 2 p.m. kickoff. Vikings
- Can’t make the home games? Watch the live video feeds. Vikings
AP Top 25: Clemson, Alabama and Georgia remain no. 1-3; Auburn moves up; Florida slides. Full report
- From the SEC: Alabama is no. 2, Georgia no. 3, LSU, 6; Auburn, 10; Florida, 11; Texas A&M, 12.
- From the ACC: Clemson is no. 1; Syracuse, 21.
This Saturday’s games:
- The Atlanta Falcons. Next: Season opener at Minnesota at 1 p.m. Sunday on Fox. Falcons
- Rome Braves’ 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. Rome Braves 2020
- The South Atlantic League’s All-Star game returns to Rome in June; the game itself is June 23. All-Star
- Pictures: Mills Fitzner’s photos from 2008-18, archive / Click here to see the 2019 season’s galleries.
- Atlanta Braves: Latest updates @ Atlanta
The USTA announced that the Rome Tennis Center at Berry College is one of 25 winners in the 38th annual USTA Facility Awards program, which recognizes excellence in the construction and/or renovation of tennis facilities throughout the country. Rome was honored for “public courts, large tennis centers” (11 courts or more) at the USTA Semi-Annual Meeting at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City on Aug. 29. The Rome Tennis Center is the largest hard court tennis facility in the nation, featuring 60 hard courts situated on 30 acres.