Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
By John McClellan
For Hometown Headlines
Rome, Darlington, Rockmart, Cartersville and Calhoun all held onto their state rankings, while Trion joined the Class A Public School elite after the second week of the 2019 high school football season. Darlington’s win over Coosa, Unity Christian’s victory over Dominion Christian, and Adairsville’s upset of Cass highlighted play in Northwest Georgia.
Class A Private No. 4 Darlington (2-0) at Sonoraville (1-0)
- Series History: Darlington leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Darlington defeated Sonoraville 20-0 on August 31, 2018
- The Darlington Tigers ran their record to 2-0 after a dominating 49-0 shutout of Coosa to maintain their Number 4 state ranking among Class A private schools. The Sonoraville Phoenix held off a strong second half effort by Model to win their season opener 18-10. This is Darlington’s final non-region game before starting subregion play in two weeks against Gordon Lee.Darlington wins by 20.
North Clayton (0-2) at Class 5A No. 6 Rome (0-1)
- Series History: Rome leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Rome defeated North Clayton 35-0 on August 31, 2018
- The North Clayton Eagles, who had been shut out by Riverdale 36-0 in their season opener, led Woodland of Stockbridge at halftime Friday night before losing 36-16. The Rome Wolves, who had lost 48-14 to Class 7A Number 1 in their Corky Kell Classic season opener, were off Friday night. The Wolves begin Region 7-AAAAA play next week against Kell. Rome wins by more than 30.
Pickens (1-0) at Pepperell (0-1)
- Series History: Pepperell leads 9-1-1
- Last Meeting: Pickens defeated Pepperell 43-14 on August 31, 2018
- The Pickens Dragons were off Friday night after a season opening 28-14 win over Stone Mountain. The Pepperell Dragons, who also are coming off an open date, kept things close much of the night in a 17-7 loss two weeks ago to state ranked Darlington. Pickens wins by 18.
Model (0-2) at North Murray (0-1)
- Series History: Tied 1-1
- Last Meeting: North Murray defeated Model 44-7 on August 31, 2018
- The Model Blue Devils had great second half play for the second week in a row in an 18-10 loss to Sonoraville. The North Murray Mountaineers opened their 2019 season on Friday night with a 38-17 loss to Class 2A Number Class 2A Number 5 Rabun County.This is Model’s final non-region game with Dade County ahead in two weeks. North Murray wins by 27.
Haralson County (1-0) at Armuchee (0-1)
- Series History: Haralson County leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Haralson County defeated Armuchee 35-0 on August 31, 2018
- The Haralson County Rebels, who are coming off a breakout season in 2018, opened the year two weeks ago by defeating Gordon Central 28-10 before being off Friday night. The Armuchee Indians also were off Friday night after a season opening 30-12 loss at Murray County. Haralson County wins by 24.
Mt. Zion (0-1) at Coosa (0-2)
- Series History: Tied 3-3
- Last Meeting: Mt. Zion defeated Coosa 42-16 on August 31, 2018
- The Mt. Zion Eagles, who have been among the top Class A public school teams in recent years, were off Friday night after falling out of the state rankings two weeks ago after a 27-6 upset loss to Lamar County. The Coosa Eagles fell to 0-2 following a 49-0 shutout loss to Darlington. Coosa begins Region 7-AA play in two weeks at Chattooga.Mt. Zion wins by 16.
New Creation Christian Academy (3-0) at Unity Christian School (3-0)
- Series History: NCCA leads 8-1
- Last Meeting: NCCA defeated UCS 40-22 on August 31, 2018
- The NCCA Crusaders are 3-0 following wins over Peoples Baptist Academy, Nathaniel Greene Academy, and Camp Jewell House. The UCS Lions remained undefeated in 2019 with their third dominating win in a row, this time a 56-6 victory over Dominion Christian. Unity Christian wins by 14.
Luella (0-1) at Class 4A No. 2 Cartersville (1-0)
- Series History: Cartersville leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Cartersville defeated Luella 55-3 on August 31, 2018
- The Luella Lions, who have not had a winning record since 2008, opened the season Friday night with an 18-6 loss to Class A Trinity Christian. The Cartersville Purple Hurricanes started the season two weeks ago with a 14-13 win over Class 6A Number 8 Allatoona before being off Friday night. Cartersville wins by more than 30.
Woodland (1-0) at East Hall (0-2)
- Series History: Woodland leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Woodland defeated East Hall 55-6 on August 31, 2018
- The Woodland Wildcats dominated Southeast Whitfield 35-7 two weeks ago before being off Friday night. The East Hall Vikings have only scored once in losses of 50-0 to Flowery Branch and 49-8 to Union County. Woodland wins by 28.
Forsyth Central (1-0) at Cass (0-1)
- Series History: Tied 3-3
- Last Meeting: Forsyth Central defeated Cass 24-12 on August 31, 2018
- The Forsyth Central Bulldogs, who are coming off their first winning season in 18 years, defeated Chamblee 43-10 two weeks ago before their Friday night by week. The Cass Colonels are 0-1 following a 14-7 loss in a defensive struggle with Adairsville.Forsyth Central wins by 14.
Therrell (1-1) at Class 3A No. 3 Calhoun (1-0)
- Series History: Calhoun leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Calhoun defeated Therrell 52-6 on August 31, 2018
- The Therrell Panthers, who had opened the season with a 32-7 win over Osborne, fell to 1-1 after a 21-20 loss to Maynard Jackson. The Calhoun Yellow Jackets are coming off a bye week following a dominating 38-8 win over Ridgeland in the Corky Kell Classic. Calhoun wins by more than 30.
Gilmer (1-1) at Gordon Central (0-2)
- Series History: Gordon Central leads 4-3
- Last Meeting: Gordon Central defeated Gilmer 44-15 on August 31, 2018
- The Gilmer Bobcats, who had dropped their season opener to Fannin County 41-9, ended their 31-game losing streak Friday night in a 56-12 blowout of Towns County. The Gordon Central Warriors are winless following Friday night’s 41-7 loss to Christian Heritage. Gordon Central wins by 4.
Class A Public No. 10 Trion (1-0) at Dade County (0-2)
- Series History: Trion leads 8-2
- Last Meeting: Trion defeated Dade County 21-0 on August 31, 2018
- The Trion Bulldogs, who began the season two weeks ago with a 28-14 win over Coosa, entered the Class A Public School rankings this week despite being off Friday night. The Dade County Wolverines are 0-2 following losses to Gordon Lee 28-16 and North Sand Mountain (Ala.) 28-26. Trion wins by more than 30.
Chattooga (1-1) at Heritage (2-0)
- Series History: Chattooga leads 1-0
- Last Meeting: Chattooga defeated Heritage 55-20 on August 31, 2018
- The Chattooga Indians are 1-1 following a 28-6 loss Friday night to Class A Private School Number 5 Wesleyan. The Heritage Generals are unbeaten with wins over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe 17-16 and Ringgold 27-14. Chattooga wins by 2.
Off this week: Adairsville (1-1 after defeating Cass 14-7), Cedartown (0-2 after losing to Alexander 27-20) and Class 2A No. 1 Rockmart (2-0 after defeating Central of Carrollton 51-14).
In other games involving schools in regions in Northwest Georgia:
- Class 4A Number 4 Troup (1-0) over Columbus (1-0) by 30 (Thursday)
- North Paulding (2-0) over East Paulding (0-1) by 11
- South Paulding (0-1) over Hiram (0-1) by 2
- Class 5A Number 3 Carrollton (1-0) over Riverdale (2-0)by 23
- Kell (1-0) over Lassiter (0-2) by 30
- Mundys Mill (1-1) over Central of Carrollton (1-1) by 9
- Class 2A Number 3 Callaway (0-1) over LaGrange (1-0) by 20
- Class 4A Number 5 Sandy Creek (1-0) over Hampton (1-0) by 27
- LaFayette (1-1) over Gordon Lee (2-0) by 3
- Southeast Whitfield (0-2) over Coahulla Creek (0-2) by 8
- Class 2A Number 2 Hapeville Charter (0-1) over Class 2A Number 9 Heard County (0-1) by 5
- Temple (1-0) over Kendrick (0-2) by 15
- Bowdon (2-0) over Monticello (0-1) by 3
- Class A Private Number 7 Fellowship Christian (1-0, 0-0) over Pinecrest Academy (0-0, 0-0) by 26
- Providence Christian (1-0) over King’s Ridge Christian (0-1) by 1
- St. Francis (0-1, 0-0) over Mt. Pisgah Christian (0-2, 0-0) by 6
- Class A Private Number 8 North Cobb Christian (1-0) over Walker (1-0) by 28