Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
- Unity Christian School hosts Oaks tonight to start high school football season. See John McClellan’s pick below.
- Nine high school scrimmage games tonight. See schedule below.
- Preseason NFL: Falcons lose third straight exhibition game, 22-10 to Jets.
- Rome Braves release 2020 schedule (link below).
Rome Braves release 2020 season schedule; open at home with seven-game stretch on April 9. Plus: Braves host all-star game in June. Rome Braves 2020
Rome Braves fall 3-1 to Fireflies; rematch tonight. Game release: Rome blew a one run lead in the 8th inning on Thursday in their series opener against the Columbia Fireflies at Segra Park and suffered a costly defeat as a result, losing 3-1 and dropping to four games back in the Southern Division race.
Leading Columbia 1-0 with two outs and nobody on in the 8th inning, the Fireflies offense woke up and spoiled what had been one of the most well-pitched games of the season by the Rome Braves staff. A single and a walk put two on and Brian Sharp roped an opposite-field hit into left to tie it up at 1-1. Jose Medina followed and was able to pull a groundball through the left side to score two runs and put Columbia ahead 3-1. The decisive rally came swiftly and deepens the hole the Braves find themselves in with only 17 games remaining in the regular season.
The highlight of the evening was the tremendous work of RHP Ryan Shetter who was making only his second start of the season. The Houston native fired 6 scoreless innings and retired the first 15 hitters he faced, taking a perfect game into the 6th before a leadoff double by Guillermo Grandillo broke it up. He ended up stranding two runners in the frame and departed. Shetter struck out six and allowed only one hit and one walk. He lowered his season ERA to 2.25.
Brendan Venter gave Rome a 1-0 lead in the 4th inning with an RBI single into left, scoring Michael Harris. The Braves left two runners in scoring position in the frame and would not score again in the game. Rome went without a hit or a walk in the final 5 innings.
Justin Dean would finish 2-4 with a stolen base. Jeremy Fernandez was 2-4 with a triple. Venter went 1-3 with an RBI. Michael Harris was 0-3 with a walk and a run scored. He also had a spectacular outfield assist in the 7th to cut down a runner at the plate and complete a double-play.
Rome and Columbia continue their four game series on Friday evening. First pitch of Game 2 from Segra Park is scheduled for 7:05 pm. Rome will start LHP Dilmer Mejia (7-2, 2.34) while Columbia is expected to start RHP Jose Butto (4-9, 3.63).
Rome Braves (26-27, 56-66) 1 R 5 H 1 E
Columbia Fireflies (24-29, 48-71) 3 R 6 H 0 E
W: Justin Lasko (3-0)
L: Tanner Lawson (3-6)
- Next up: At Columbia. 7:05 tonight; 6:05 p.m. Saturday; 5:05 p.m. Sunday.
- Roster moves: Rome Braves RHP Jose Olague has been placed on the Injured List. In corresponding moves, LHP Mitch Stallings has been promoted to Single-A Rome from R-Danville. The Rome roster has 25 active players, 1 restricted and 5 injured.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- Audio interview: John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. Druck Report
- 2019 high school football schedules: Every local school with games this fall. Schedules
High school updates:
- Friday, season opener: The Oaks at Unity Christian School.
- Friday scrimmages: Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; Cass at Pepperell; New Manchester at Rome; Bowdon at Coosa, Gordon Central at Sonoraville; LaFayette at Trion; Dalton at Cartersville; Chattooga at Cedartown; and Woodland at Adairsville.
Corky Kell Classic returns to Barron Stadium on Aug. 22 with Rome, Calhoun games: Look for another season-starting double header in Rome as part of the 2019 Corky Kell Classic high school football kickoff. Calhoun is scheduled to play Ridgeland at 5:30 p.m. and Rome hosts Marietta at 8:30 p.m. in the 28th edition of the classic. Media: The classic’s website states all games will be broadcast on CBS46 and Peachtree TV, and will be streamed live on the National Federation of High School Associations Network at NFHSNetwork.com. Radio listeners can tune into 92.9 The Game for coverage of the games (the signal is available in Floyd County).
- From Rome City Schools: Corky Kell tickets go on sale. Tickets are $12 in advance and $17 on game day. Sale hours: Today from noon until 2 p.m. and Aug. 19-22 from noon until 2 p.m. The tickets are good for both games on Aug. 22.
- From Calhoun High: Tickets for the Corky Kell Classic football game on sale at the Calhoun High School front office. Pre-sale tickets sold at CHS will be $12. Tickets at the gate on game day will be $17. Please contact Brock Holley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Harbin Clinic to sponsor Metro by T-Mobile Corky Kell Classic: On television, radio, webcast and in the stands, the double header at Barron Stadium is expected to be seen by a million fans on Aug. 22. In addition to the games, Calhoun family medicine physician Dr. Ken Howard will be interviewed during one break and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Brad Bushnell and Dr. Chris Piller during others. Expanded report
MIDDLE SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Rome Middle School 2019 Football Schedule
- 8/31 McEachern
- 9/7 Kell
- 9/14 at Hiram
- 9/28 at Cambridge
- 10/5 East Paulding
- 10/12 Pope
- 10/19 at Allatoona
- 10/28 at Campbell
- Berry College Vikings open the 2019 season at Maryville on Saturday, Sept. 7. 2 p.m. kickoff. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks begin the season at East Tennessee State on Saturday, Sept. 7. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Clemson, Thursday, Aug. 29, 8 p.m. ACC Network. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs at Vanderbilt, Saturday, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m. SEC Network. Bulldogs
Below is the full 2019 Shorter Hawks’ football home schedule with start times:
|Date||Opponent, Time, Streaming|
|Sept. 14||vs. West Florida, 1:00 p.m., ESPN+ (Whiteout)|
|Sept. 28||vs. Valdosta State, 6:00 p.m., ESPN3 (Blackout)|
|Oct. 19||vs. North Greenville, 1:00 p.m., YouTube (Homecoming)|
|Nov. 2||vs. Delta State, 1:00 p.m., YouTube|
|Nov. 9||vs. Allen, 1:00 p.m., YouTube|
- The Atlanta Falcons host the Washington Redskins on Thursday, Aug. 22, at 7:30 p.m. Falcons
Looking for Rome-Floyd Parks and Rec’s Fall Guide in your kid’s backpack but can’t find it? You’re not alone. Parks and Rec has posted the early Fall Guide online. The expanded Fall Guide comes out in early September via backpack and remind everyone when it should be coming home.
Fall sports signups: Last week to early register for Y soccer: Register in person at Rome-Floyd YMCA or online at www.ymcarome.org before early registration for YMCA Arsenal Fall Soccer League ends on August 17th and the price increases. For players aged 4-15. The focus of this league is participation and fun! Fundamental skills of the game are developed and refined through activities and games. Sportsmanship, respect and responsibility are all key components of this league. All our coaches are licensed through Georgia Soccer. Every game starts with a prayer and ends with a handshake. Practices are held once weekly for an hour and begin September 3rd (9/3). Games are played Friday or Saturday depending on what division your player is in and begin September 13th (9 week, 8 game season). Early Registration for Y members: $79, potential members: $119. Regular registration fee after Saturday will increase each $10.
Saturday: The Gary Tillman Memorial Clocktower 5K Race and 2-mile Health Walk returns to Heritage Park on Saturday at 8 a.m. Registration continues.This challenging 5K winds through historic downtown Rome, and climbs historic Clocktower Hill in the second mile. Both the 5K and the 2-mile health walk courses are very scenic, as they take in much of the “Between the Rivers” district of beautiful downtown Rome. Both events start and end in Heritage Park. Pre and Post Race refreshments, pre and post race massages, music, and fun make this a race not to be missed. Proceeds go to the Exchange Club Family Resource Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Registration $30 and $25. Register