Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
- Football scrimmage: Model at Mount Zion, 7 p.m.
- NFL preseason: Falcons host New York Jets, 7:30 p.m. TV: Atlanta CW. Radio: 92.9 FM (The Game)
- Fall sports signups: Last week to early register for Y soccer: Register in person at Rome-Floyd YMCA or online at www.ymcarome.org before early registration for YMCA Arsenal Fall Soccer League ends on August 17th and the price increases. For players aged 4-15. The focus of this league is participation and fun! Fundamental skills of the game are developed and refined through activities and games. Sportsmanship, respect and responsibility are all key components of this league. All our coaches are licensed through Georgia Soccer. Every game starts with a prayer and ends with a handshake. Practices are held once weekly for an hour and begin September 3rd (9/3). Games are played Friday or Saturday depending on what division your player is in and begin September 13th (9 week, 8 game season). Early Registration for Y members: $79, potential members: $119. Regular registration fee after Saturday will increase each $10.
Rome Braves drop rubber game, 7-3, to Tourists; now three games out of first place with 18 to go. Game release: After scoring 19 runs the previous two nights the Rome offense slowed down on Wednesday evening in the series finale against Asheville, dropping the rubber game 7-3 to the Tourists at McCormick Field.
The loss puts Rome three games out of 1st place in the Southern Division with 18 games remaining in the regular season.
Asheville never trailed in the finale, scoring single runs in the 2nd and 3rd innings against Rome starter RHP William Woods. The Braves put together a rally in the 4th inning to tie the game at 2-2 thanks to hits from the middle of their order. Braden Shewmake led off with a single up the middle. He scored on an RBI double from Shea Langeliers into the left center field gap. Bryce Ball then singled sharply into left, pushing Langeliers to third base. Michael Harris followed with an RBI groundout to bring in the tying run but the Braves would strand the go-ahead run in scoring position.
The Tourists took the lead back immediately on a two run homer by Cade Harris off Rome reliever RHP Jose Montilla in the Bottom of the 4th and would hold the advantage the rest of the evening. Asheville added three additional runs to go ahead 7-2 in the 7th inning. Rome would manage a final run in the 8th after a throwing error, but trailing 7-3 would never bring the tying run to the plate in the late innings.
Ball finished his night 3-4 and had eight total hits in his debut series with Rome. Langeliers was 1-4 with a double and an RBI. Shewmake was 1-4 with a walk. Jeremy Fernandez was 1-4 with a stolen base.
Woods threw 3 innings and received a no-decision. He allowed two runs, one earned, on four hits. He struck out five and walked two.
Rome continues its road trip with a four game series in Columbia against the Fireflies. Game 1 from Segra Park is scheduled for 7:05 pm Thursday evening. Rome is expected to start RHP Ryan Shetter (3-2, 2.70).
Rome Braves (26-26, 56-65) 3 R 8 H 1 E
Asheville Tourists (29-23, 58-64) 7 R 12 H 2 E
W: Ryan Feltner (7-9)
L: Jose Montilla (3-8)
–Next up: At Columbia. 7:05 tonight and Friday; 6:05 p.m. Saturday; 5:05 p.m. Sunday.
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
- Audio interview: John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. Druck Report
- 2019 high school football schedules: Every local school with games this fall. Schedules
High school updates:
- Friday, season opener: The Oaks at University Christian School.
- Friday scrimmages: Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; Cass at Pepperell; New Manchester at Rome; Bowdon at Coosa, Gordon Central at Sonoraville; LaFayette at Trion; Dalton at Cartersville; Chattooga at Cedartown; and Woodland at Adairsville.
Corky Kell Classic returns to Barron Stadium on Aug. 22 with Rome, Calhoun games: Look for another season-starting double header in Rome as part of the 2019 Corky Kell Classic high school football kickoff. Calhoun is scheduled to play Ridgeland at 5:30 p.m. and Rome hosts Marietta at 8:30 p.m. in the 28th edition of the classic. Media: The classic’s website states all games will be broadcast on CBS46 and Peachtree TV, and will be streamed live on the National Federation of High School Associations Network at NFHSNetwork.com. Radio listeners can tune into 92.9 The Game for coverage of the games (the signal is available in Floyd County).
- From Rome City Schools: Corky Kell tickets go on sale. Tickets are $12 in advance and $17 on game day. Sale hours: Today-Friday from noon until 2 p.m. and Aug. 19-22 from noon until 2 p.m. The tickets are good for both games on Aug. 22.
- From Calhoun High: Tickets for the Corky Kell Classic football game on sale at the Calhoun High School front office. Pre-sale tickets sold at CHS will be $12. Tickets at the gate on game day will be $17. Please contact Brock Holley (email@example.com).
- Harbin Clinic to sponsor Metro by T-Mobile Corky Kell Classic: On television, radio, webcast and in the stands, the double header at Barron Stadium is expected to be seen by a million fans on Aug. 22. In addition to the games, Calhoun family medicine physician Dr. Ken Howard will be interviewed during one break and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Brad Bushnell and Dr. Chris Piller during others. Expanded report
MIDDLE SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Rome Middle School 2019 Football Schedule
- 8/31 McEachern
- 9/7 Kell
- 9/14 at Hiram
- 9/28 at Cambridge
- 10/5 East Paulding
- 10/12 Pope
- 10/19 at Allatoona
- 10/28 at Campbell
- Berry College Vikings open the 2019 season at Maryville on Saturday, Sept. 7. 2 p.m. kickoff. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks begin the season at East Tennessee State on Saturday, Sept. 7. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Clemson, Thursday, Aug. 29, 8 p.m. ACC Network. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs at Vanderbilt, Saturday, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m. SEC Network. Bulldogs
Below is the full 2019 Shorter Hawks’ football home schedule with start times:
|Date||Opponent, Time, Streaming|
|Sept. 14||vs. West Florida, 1:00 p.m., ESPN+ (Whiteout)|
|Sept. 28||vs. Valdosta State, 6:00 p.m., ESPN3 (Blackout)|
|Oct. 19||vs. North Greenville, 1:00 p.m., YouTube (Homecoming)|
|Nov. 2||vs. Delta State, 1:00 p.m., YouTube|
|Nov. 9||vs. Allen, 1:00 p.m., YouTube|
- The Atlanta Falcons at home tonight vs. Jets, kickoff at 7:30. Falcons
Looking for Rome-Floyd Parks and Rec’s Fall Guide in your kid’s backpack but can’t find it? You’re not alone. Parks and Rec has posted the early Fall Guide online. The expanded Fall Guide comes out in early September via backpack and remind everyone when it should be coming home.
Saturday: The Gary Tillman Memorial Clocktower 5K Race and 2-mile Health Walk returns to Heritage Park on Saturday at 8 a.m. Registration continues.This challenging 5K winds through historic downtown Rome, and climbs historic Clocktower Hill in the second mile. Both the 5K and the 2-mile health walk courses are very scenic, as they take in much of the “Between the Rivers” district of beautiful downtown Rome. Both events start and end in Heritage Park. Pre and Post Race refreshments, pre and post race massages, music, and fun make this a race not to be missed. Proceeds go to the Exchange Club Family Resource Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Registration $30 and $25. Register