Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Rome Braves rained out on Friday. From Braves:The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader Saturday at State Mutual Stadium. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 5:00 PM. All gates, including Gate 6 and the Concierge Lobby, open at 4:30 PM. Both games will be seven-inning affairs with approximately 30 minutes between games. Fans with paid tickets to Friday’s game may exchange their tickets for tickets to any of the Rome Braves remaining 2019 regular-season home games, pending availability. Patrons returning or already planning to attend Saturday’s game may see both games with their Saturday tickets. For more information, call the Rome Braves Ticket Office at 706-378-5144.
–Next up: Home vs. Augusta, 6 tonight and Sunday, 2 p.m.
High school preseason scrimmage updates:
- Friday score: Calhoun over NW Whitfield, 23-14.
- Aug. 15: Model at Mount Zion, 7 p.m.
- Aug. 16: Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; Cass at Pepperell; New Manchester at Rome; Bowdon at Coosa, Gordon Central at Sonoraville; LaFayette at Trion; Dalton at Cartersville; Chattooga at Cedartown; and Woodland at Adairsville.
- John McClellan’s first column of the 2019 football season will post Monday.
- 2019 high school football schedules: Every local school schedule including scrimmages. 2019
Corky Kell Classic returns to Barron Stadium on Aug. 22 with Rome, Calhoun games: Look for another season-starting double header in Rome as part of the 2019 Corky Kell Classic high school football kickoff. Calhoun is scheduled to play Ridgeland at 5:30 p.m. and Rome hosts Marietta at 8:30 p.m. in the 28th edition of the classic. Media: The classic’s website states all games will be broadcast on CBS46 and Peachtree TV, and will be streamed live on the National Federation of High School Associations Network at NFHSNetwork.com. Radio listeners can tune into 92.9 The Game for coverage of the games (the signal is available in Floyd County).
- From Rome City Schools: Corky Kell tickets go on sale. Tickets are $12 in advance and $17 on game day. Sale hours: Aug. 13-16 from noon until 2 p.m. and Aug. 19-22 from noon until 2 p.m. The tickets are good for both games on Aug. 22.
- From Calhoun High: Tickets for the Corky Kell Classic football game on sale at the Calhoun High School front office. Pre-sale tickets sold at CHS will be $12. Tickets at the gate on game day will be $17. Please contact Brock Holley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Harbin Clinic to sponsor Metro by T-Mobile Corky Kell Classic: On television, radio, webcast and in the stands, the double header at Barron Stadium is expected to be seen by a million fans on Aug. 22. In addition to the games, Calhoun family medicine physician Dr. Ken Howard will be interviewed during one break and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Brad Bushnell and Dr. Chris Piller during others. Expanded report
- The Atlanta Falcons at home Aug. 15 vs. Jets, kickoff at 7:30 p.m. Falcons
- Berry College Vikings open the 2019 season at Maryville on Saturday, Sept. 7. 2 p.m. kickoff. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks begin the season at East Tennessee State on Saturday, Sept. 7. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Clemson, Thursday, Aug. 29, 8 p.m. ACC Network. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs at Vanderbilt, Saturday, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m. SEC Network. Bulldogs
MIDDLE SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Rome Middle School 2019 Football Schedule
- 8/31 McEachern
- 9/7 Kell
- 9/14 at Hiram
- 9/28 at Cambridge
- 10/5 East Paulding
- 10/12 Pope
- 10/19 at Allatoona
- 10/28 at Campbell
Looking for Rome-Floyd Parks and Rec’s Fall Guide in your kid’s backpack but can’t find it? You’re not alone. Parks and Rec has posted the early Fall Guide online. The expanded Fall Guide comes out in early September via backpack and remind everyone when it should be coming home.
Aug. 17: The Gary Tillman Memorial Clocktower 5K Race and 2-mile Health Walk returns to Heritage Park on Saturday, Aug. 17 at 8 a.m. Registration continues.This challenging 5K winds through historic downtown Rome, and climbs historic Clocktower Hill in the second mile. Both the 5K and the 2-mile health walk courses are very scenic, as they take in much of the “Between the Rivers” district of beautiful downtown Rome. Both events start and end in Heritage Park. Pre and Post Race refreshments, pre and post race massages, music, and fun make this a race not to be missed. Proceeds go to the Exchange Club Family Resource Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Registration $30 and $25. Register