Media release: Bartow County grew its labor force and added employed residents again in June. At the same time, initial claims for unemployment were down for the month and year, preliminary numbers show.
“Georgia’s been in an extended growth cycle,” said Labor Commissioner Mark Butler. “In June, our state and local communities added jobs and employed more people.”
Nationally, the unemployment rate inched up 0.1 percent points in June to reach 3.7 percent. Georgia’s rate dropped 0.1 percentage points to settle at 3.7 percent.
- In Bartow, the unemployment rate for June went up by 0.3 percentage points, settling at 3.6 percent. A year ago, the rate was 4.1 percent.
- The labor force in Bartow County rose by 232 in June, bringing the total to 50,355. The number has risen by 101 when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Bartow County added 79 employed residents in June, bringing the total to 48,563. The number is up 378 for the year.
- Claims for unemployment insurance were down by 22 percent in June. They were down by about 34 percent when compared to the same month a year ago.
- Employ Georgia, the GDOL’s online job listing service at employgeorgia.com showed 318 active job postings in metro Bartow County for June.
For the 12-county region, Butler said Northwest Georgia added to its workforce and number of employed residents in June. Preliminary results showed that the 12-county area also had fewer unemployment claims filed in June than May.
In the region, the unemployment rate rose in June by 0.4 percentage points to settle at 3.7 percent. A year ago, the rate was 4.3 percent.
- The labor force increased in June by 2,062. The total came to 421,157. That number is down by 358 from the total from June 2018.
- The Northwest region ended June with 405,390 employed residents. The number increased by 241 in June and 1,869 as compared to last June.
- The number of unemployment claims went down in June by 15 percent. When compared to last June, claims were up by about 6 percent.
- The Northwest Georgia region includes Bartow, Chattooga, Catoosa, Dade, Fannin, Floyd, Gilmer, Gordon, Haralson, Murray, Paulding, Pickens, Polk, Walker, and Whitfield.