Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports
Atlanta Falcons vs. Cleveland Browns, Hall of Game game, 8-11 p.m. Thursday from Canton, Ohio.
- TV: NBC. Radio: 92.9 FM (The Game).
Media release: The Falcons held their second to last open practice of AT&T Atlanta Falcons Training Camp on Tuesday, and now all eyes are turned toward their first preseason game on Thursday. The Falcons will square off against the Denver Broncos in the NFL’s annual Hall of Fame Game, and the extra preseason game provides the coaches a vital opportunity to get better evaluations on players.
But who exactly will coach Dan Quinn and his staff plan on paying a little extra attention to?
After practice, Quinn mentioned the running backs group and the group of returners as two units he’s keen on seeing in a game. Quinn is also looking forward to watching the guys who have been with the team for about a year now, hoping to see a level of growth.
“Anybody really from the practice squad from last year,” Quinn said. “What does it look like now, a whole year later? If you went back to their last preseason game, that was their last game they played. Last August, at some point.”
Some of the notable players who would fall under that description are quarterback Kurt Benkert, wide receivers Christian Blake and Devin Gray, and offensive tackle Matt Gono.
From Rome Floyd Parks & Rec: Regular registration for fall baseball ends on Sunday, Aug. 4. So know is the perfect time to swing for the fences and get your kids registered to play. More information athttps://www.rfpra.com/baseball.
Rome Braves at Hagerstown starting tonight. Rome was off Tuesday and opens a long road trip this evening in Hagerstown, Md., against the Suns. Rome and Hagerstown play three games Wednesday-Friday and the Braves then head to West Virginia for another four-game set versus the Power beginning Saturday. Rome’s next home game is Aug. 8 against Augusta.
High school preseason scrimmage updates:
- Aug. 8: Darlington at Whitefield Academy
- Aug. 9: Bowdon at Coosa; Model at Mt. Zion; Temple at Pepperell, Calhoun at Northwest Whitfield, Bremen at Rockmart.
- Aug. 16: Armuchee at Southeast Whitfield; Cass at Pepperell; New Manchester at Rome; Gordon Central at Sonoraville; LaFayette at Trion; and Dalton at Cartersville; Chattooga at Cedartown; and Woodland at Adairsville.
HHPodcast Interview: Local high school football expert John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. High school football / Click to the podcast
Corky Kell Classic returns to Barron Stadium on Aug. 22 with Rome, Calhoun games: Look for another season-starting double header in Rome as part of the 2019 Corky Kell Classic high school football kickoff. Calhoun is scheduled to play Ridgeland at 5:30 p.m. and Rome hosts Marietta at 8:30 p.m. in the 28th edition of the classic. Media: The classic’s website states all games will be broadcast on CBS46 and Peachtree TV, and will be streamed live on the National Federation of High School Associations Network at NFHSNetwork.com. Radio listeners can tune into 92.9 The Game for coverage of the games (the signal is available in Floyd County).
-From Calhoun High: Tickets for the Corky Kell Classic football game will go on sale Tuesday, July 30, at 9 a.m. at the Calhoun High School front office. The game will take place against Ridgeland High School on Thursday, Aug. 22, at 5:30 p.m. and played at Barron Stadium in Rome. Pre-sale tickets sold at CHS will be $12. Tickets at the gate on game day will be $17. Please contact Brock Holley (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
- 2019 high school football schedules: Every local school schedule including scrimmages. 2019
- The Atlanta Falcons will open the 2019 preseason in the Hall of Fame Game against the Denver Broncos on Aug. 1 at 8 p.m. Falcons
- Berry College Vikings open the 2019 season at Maryville on Saturday, Sept. 7. 1 p.m. kickoff. Vikings
- Shorter Hawks begin the season at East Tennessee State on Saturday, Sept. 7. Hawks
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets at Clemson, Thursday, Aug. 29, 8 p.m. ACC Network. Jackets
- Georgia Bulldogs at Vanderbilt, Saturday, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m. SEC Network. Bulldogs
Aug. 17: The Gary Tillman Memorial Clocktower 5K Race and 2-mile Health Walk returns to Heritage Park on Saturday, Aug. 17 at 8 a.m. Registration continues.This challenging 5K winds through historic downtown Rome, and climbs historic Clocktower Hill in the second mile. Both the 5K and the 2-mile health walk courses are very scenic, as they take in much of the “Between the Rivers” district of beautiful downtown Rome. Both events start and end in Heritage Park. Pre and Post Race refreshments, pre and post race massages, music, and fun make this a race not to be missed. Proceeds go to the Exchange Club Family Resource Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Registration $30 and $25. Register