- Business: Downtown Cartersville is “Going Nuts” with new business specializing in popcorn, roasted nuts. Also: Bridal boutique now open. LakePoint adding live streaming, video content. Business
- Education: Life Church of Rome hosting community back-to-school prayer event on July 26. Rundown of when students return to class. Education
- Latest Indictments: Wallace Chambers Jr., indicted in May shooting death of 74-year-old Rome man. Indictments
- Weekend! presented by The Forum River Center: Weekend photos. Coming next weekend: Berry Farmer’s Market, summer movie series, Homespun in Rockmart and Hamiltunes. Weekend
The key issues in Northwest Georgia, available on demand. Don’t settle for ‘decaf’ local talk radio. Subscribe (for free) to the Hometown Headlines Podcasts. Click Podcasts
- New Rome beer festival date, new office, new director and new chair: Changing times for RACA. HHPodcast interview with Ali Booker and Chris Kerr.
- Why Summerville Park doesn’t want Sleep Inn on Charlton Street (that’s where the entrance and exit would be). A HHPodcast interview with Penny Evans-Plants.
- Keith Mickler of the county extension office on what this heat does to plants, trees and crops (avoid excess watering!) Plus: How to chase those varmints from your garden.
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Slightly cooler at 89 today, 40% rain chance. Scattered storms possible all week with highs in 90s. Forecast
- Obituaries: Mr. Wayne Diamond, Sam Pappalardo, Jr., Mrs. Patricia Kirkpatrick Robinson, Mr. Terry Thompson, Mr. Edward Lynn Toles, Mary Edna Ballard Vaughn and Mrs. Stacey (Grace) Weaver. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores return Tuesday. Dining
- Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on area arrests, police reports from across Northwest Georgia. Crimewatch
Hardy Realty’s open house gallery for today: Your first look at 14 homes in Rome and Cave Spring, priced from $129,900 to $695,000. Open Houses
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report: Sports
Rome Braves lose 6-5 at Kannapolis. Final game of series today at 5 p.m.
Braves return home Monday for three-game series against Lexington. Game time 7 p.m. Monday.
Links to fall football:
- Local high school football expert John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. John McClellan
- High school schedules.
- Berry, Shorter, Georgia and Georgia Tech.
- Falcons’ preseason.
Subscribe to the Hometown Headlines Podcasts (free)
- In-depth interviews ahead of tomorrow’s headlines: Closer look at the Summerville Park/Sleep Inn issue. Lots of changes under way for the Rome Area Council for the Arts. Extension Agent Keith Mickler on how to cope with excessive heat — and varmints. Local football expert John McClellan on what to expect as high school football season begins.
- Also due in July: Additional interviews with our colleagues at Brand Red Studios in Rome.
- How to listen: Subscribe to our podcasts at Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Anchor, Google Podcasts, Breaker, Overcast and Radio Public.
- All the radio you need in eight minutes: The Hometown Headlines Newscast posts most weekdays between 7 and 8 a.m. and lasts just long enough for your commute to work — or whenever you want it. To listen, click HHPodcast.