UPDATED MONDAY, JULY 15: Bucket of Shrimp to arrive even earlier; noon ribbon cutting, soft opening until 3 p.m. Tuesday: That’s the word this Monday morning from the folks behind Bucket o’ Shrimp coming to 1517 Dean Ave. in Rome. The latest word: “Tuesday, July 16, is the ribbon cutting at noon and soft opening. We’re open to public until 3 p.m. Then on Wednesday, July 17, the official grand opening with regular business hours.”
Perhaps the most awaited opening of a local restaurant since Steak ‘n Shake, Truett’s Chick-fil-A or Krispy Kreme is here. Bucket o’ Shrimp at 1517 Dean Ave. has secured its business license, earned a 100 score on its preopening Public Health restaurant inspection and is expected to open for business on Wednesday, July 17.
The Gainesville-based restaurant announced on a new Facebook page Jan. 3 that a Rome opening was on the way. They even conducted a contest when the sign went up on Dean Avenue, followed by renovations to what most recently was a barbecue spot (and a good one). But the months dragged on and the opening was delayed — at least from a local perspective. At last report, a Gainesville employee told us to look for a “late summer” opening. She also acknowledged “a hundred” calls from Rome customers counting down the days.
What’s on the menu (taped to the window):
- Pirate Grub features seven shrimp fried or grilled with hush puppies, a regular side and drink for $7.99. The 20-shrimp order: $21.99.
- A stick of fried lobster: $13.99.
- Po’ boys from $8.75 to $12.49 (latter with sides, former is entree only).
- Shrimp and crab bucket with two crab leg clusters, shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage, $25 (no sides — thankfully).
- Sides of cole slaw, crinkle cut fries, sweet potato fries and hush puppies, $1.99 each. Premium sides $3.99 to $4.99.
- 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday
- Until 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Sunday, noon until 5 p.m.
- Closed Monday and Tuesday.