- Rome woman, 85, dies from injuries sustained in Sunday afternoon accident. Fatality
- Dos Bros Mexican Grill adds signage, hopes to open in two to thre months off Shorter. Nanny G’s at the Covered Bridge bakery opening in Euharlee. Buffalo Luke’s to replace Cheeseburger Bobby’s in Calhoun? Dining
- Public Health: Hepatitis A spreading among Bartow County residents. Health Department offers free hep A vaccinations; urges vaccination for those at high risk and for food-service workers. Health
- Kimberly King named interim director of the Sexual Assault Center of Northwest Georgia. Sexual Assault Center
- Two Pepperell teens, both 13, charged with damaging, stealing from high school football concessions stand. Suspects
- Business: Kangaroo Jake’s closes in Armuchee after 11-year run. Kangaroo Jake’s
- Weekend! presented by The Forum River Center: A legion of superheroes at Tellus Saturday. Exhibit opening for late-in-life folk artist. Rodeo rides again in Bartow. Plus: Annual fish fry. Weekend
From Hometown Headlines Podcast Center: Don’t have to settle for “decaf radio.” Here’s the news Rome is talking about:
- New Rome beer festival date, new office, new director and new chair: Changing times for RACA. HHPodcast interview with Ali Booker and Chris Kerr. RACA or right to the podcast.
- Why Summerville Park doesn’t want Sleep Inn on Charlton Street (that’s where the entrance and exit would be). A HHPodcast interview with Penny Evans-Plants. Summerville Park or right to the podcast.
- Keith Mickler of the county extension office on what this heat does to plants, trees and crops (avoid excess watering!) Plus: How to chase those varmints from your garden. Mickler or right to the podcast.
- Local high school football expert John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. John McClellan
- Today’s newscast: Thursday’s top headlines with a rant or two. Newscast
- Buzz: Floyd job fair July 25. New assignments for Rome educators. Berry summer market is July 20. County Commission called meeting July 17. Local ticket holder misses $165 million jackpot by one number. Buzz
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Temperatures to ease a bit through the weekend; probably an inch of rain total today through Sunday. Weather
- Obituaries: Mrs. Betty Jo Coker Battles, Ryan Davis Godfrey, Mrs. Sara Ann Howard, Mrs. Lois Evelyn McCary. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores. 60 (U) for Rome restaurant. Dining
- Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on area arrests, police reports from across Northwest Georgia. Crimewatch
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report: Sports
South Atlantic League all-star game to be hosted by Rome Braves at State Mutual Stadium next June 23. All-Star game
Rome Braves beat Charleston 4-3 in afternoon game.
-Rematch tonight at 7:05 to decide series.
-Next: Weekend series in Kannapolis.
HHPodcast Interview: Local high school football expert John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. McClellan
Links to fall football:
-High school schedules.
-Colleges: Berry, Shorter, UGA and Tech.
Subscribe to the Hometown Headlines Podcasts (free)
- In-depth interviews ahead of tomorrow’s headlines: From an insider’s look at the 2019 high school football season to what’s below Broad Street to the real story about downtown parking to needed jail improvements to the origins of a Norman Rockwell-like community parade, our podcast interviews put you into tomorrow’s Rome news today.
- Also due in July: 10 additional interviews with our colleagues at Brand Red Studios in Rome.
- How to listen: Subscribe to our podcasts at Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Anchor, Google Podcasts, Breaker, Overcast and Radio Public.
- All the radio you need in eight minutes: The Hometown Headlines Newscast posts most weekdays between 7 and 8 a.m. and lasts just long enough for your commute to work — or whenever you want it. To listen, click HHPodcast.