- Business: Heavy equipment on site at old Kmart; no demolition just yet. Jonathan Jones joins River City Bank as vice president/senior credit administrator. SuperCuts coming to Publix center in Rome. Business
- Ware Mechanical Weather Center: Tuesday’s heat index hit 105 with a high of 97; more on the way. Weather
- Decorated Floyd County sheriff’s corporal fired; office cites ‘unprofessional, negligent and incompetent in the performance of his duties.’ Fired
- Education: Tri for the Kids raises $18,000 for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Northwest Georgia. Floyd Medical teen volunteers earn scholarships. North Georgia EMC awards scholarships to two Armuchee High grads, another from Gordon Central. Shaw helping associates’ students. Education
- HHPodcast Interview: Keith Mickler of the county extension office on what this heat does to plants, trees and crops (avoid excess watering!) Plus: How to chase those varmints from your garden. The Podcast
- HHPodcast News: Today’s top local news and sports updates in an eight-minute broadcast with a rant or two. Newscast
- Buzz: Soulfest returns to Ridge Ferry Park on Aug. 3; what to know. Three local groups work with United Way to share $44,000 for food, shelter. Training session to close Georgia Department of Veterans Service July 22-26. Buzz
- Obituaries: Thomas Robert Bing, Laura Harris Harrison, Mrs. Delia Mae Smith Holcomb, Mrs. Sara Ann Howard, Mr. Larry Waymon Ingram, Mrs. Benita Faye McClure, Cassandra Marie “Cassie” Rayburn, Mr. Dominic M. Szewczyk. Obituaries
- Public Health restaurant inspection scores. Dining
- Greater Community Bank CrimeWatch: Updates on area arrests, police reports from across Northwest Georgia. Crimewatch
Truett’s Chick-fil-A Sports Report: Sports
Dylan Beasley from Berry, Rome High already pitching in the Washington Nationals’ system.
Rome Braves fall 9-6 to open series vs. RiverDogs.
Rome Braves vs. Charleston today at 12:05 p.m.
HHPodcast Interview: Local high school football expert John McClellan breaks down the 2019 season: New coaches, old rivalries and the teams to watch this fall. McClellan
Links to fall football:
-High school schedules.
-Colleges: Berry, Shorter, UGA and Tech.
Subscribe to the Hometown Headlines Podcasts (free)
- In-depth interviews ahead of tomorrow’s headlines: From an insider’s look at the 2019 high school football season to what’s below Broad Street to the real story about downtown parking to needed jail improvements to the origins of a Norman Rockwell-like community parade, our podcast interviews put you into tomorrow’s Rome news today.
- Also due in July: 10 additional interviews with our colleagues at Brand Red Studios in Rome.
- How to listen: Subscribe to our podcasts at Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Anchor, Google Podcasts, Breaker, Overcast and Radio Public.
- All the radio you need in eight minutes: The Hometown Headlines Newscast posts most weekdays between 7 and 8 a.m. and lasts just long enough for your commute to work — or whenever you want it. To listen, click HHPodcast.